Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Laptop

If you can give it, or need it, post here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New Laptop

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:47 pm

a few observations about my new Lenovo YOGA C740 ....

1 ... so far as I know, my old Lenovo had, so far as I know, Windows 10 with the latest updates .... the new Lenovo has, so far as I know, Windows 10 with the latest updates .... from that standpoint they operate pretty much the same, I really can't tell any difference

2 ... there is a sticker that says it has an Intel Core i5 10th Gen processor .... don't know if that's good or bad but do know the new machine is much faster ....

3 ... NO port to insert an SD card .... that came as a bit of a surprise

4 ... 2 USB Type-A 3.1 Gen 1 connections .... on our last computer there was one USB Type -A connection with a blue section .... we were told that was the fastest connection .... these are black but are supposed to be the same speed as the blue ones

5 ... it has a single, much smaller USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1 connection .... I had no clue what it was and had to ask .... they said the Type-A connection has been and still is the main type but the smaller Type-C is the way the industry is moving
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:43 pm

i5 is a good all purpose type CPU. The higher end i7 and i9 are for intense high end applications.
For an SDCARD reader you'll want to get one of these. Plugs into your USB type C port. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Re ... 4534&psc=1
JEBar wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:47 pm
a few observations about my new Lenovo YOGA C740 ....

1 ... so far as I know, my old Lenovo had, so far as I know, Windows 10 with the latest updates .... the new Lenovo has, so far as I know, Windows 10 with the latest updates .... from that standpoint they operate pretty much the same, I really can't tell any difference

2 ... there is a sticker that says it has an Intel Core i5 10th Gen processor .... don't know if that's good or bad but do know the new machine is much faster ....

3 ... NO port to insert an SD card .... that came as a bit of a surprise

4 ... 2 USB Type-A 3.1 Gen 1 connections .... on our last computer there was one USB Type -A connection with a blue section .... we were told that was the fastest connection .... these are black but are supposed to be the same speed as the blue ones

5 ... it has a single, much smaller USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1 connection .... I had no clue what it was and had to ask .... they said the Type-A connection has been and still is the main type but the smaller Type-C is the way the industry is moving
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:24 am

info appreciated .... when I realized that it didn't have a SD card reader I looked into my drawer of computer odds and ends that I've accumulated over the years .... I found two of these things ====> https://www.amazon.com/High-Speed-USB-3 ... 208&sr=1-4 .... both are made by a company named Targus .... about all I can say is they work .... thanks also for the info on the i5 CPU .... our computer use is pretty basic, no high speed games or such ....
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:12 am

Bought my wife a new ipad pro for Christmas and they now use that C type usb connector for a charge port. I had to go buy a C type to the regular type to transfer some info from one pad to another. My Mac laptop has all of those ports on it including an hdmi port for streaming. I think they change all this stuff on purpose so a guy has to spend money on having one of everything. Like why cant the cell phones have all the same style charge plug.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:43 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:12 am
Bought my wife a new ipad pro for Christmas and they now use that C type usb connector for a charge port.
as noted above, the folks at Best Buy told me the Type C is the way of the future .... a little while ago, I looked on Amazon and they have bunches of different things that are designed to plug into the Type C slot ....
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm

In Europe they do. USB Type B. Apple sorta cheated on that one with their old iPhones. They included in the box with the iphone, an adapter from USB-B to iphone proprietary. The EU recently adopted USB-C for devices requiring >7.5W. Which the newest iPhone and other cell makers are now providing. Some tablets and ultra low power notebook computers are also providing USB-C as the charging port.
BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:12 am
... Like why cant the cell phones have all the same style charge plug.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:50 pm

Ya well Europe is smarter than we are then Id like to see it here dont care about Europe.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55