Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Laptop Recommendations

If you can give it, or need it, post here
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Laptop Recommendations

Post by markiver54 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:09 am

I'm sitting here getting more used to my new laptop. definitely a learning curve after 4 years on my Android tablet. I'm expecting a new mouse to arrive today that is capable of handling up to three devices, as I will still be using my tablet some. the laptop has a touch screen, of course, however, I've gotten used to the mouse and want to keep as many fingerprints as possible off the screen.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:41 am

How's the laptop working out Mark?
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:07 am

daytime dave wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:41 am
How's the laptop working out Mark?
I'm certainly enjoying the larger screen. It sure makes pics more enjoyable to look at. It also responds faster. Must have something to do with the processor. Still learning slowly how to navigate Windows 11. I havent even scratched the surface.
All in all...I am pleased and satisfied with the choice I made. Thanks for asking Dave.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:14 pm

Are there a lot of changes in Win11? I resisted going to Win10 for a long time but it wasn't that bad when I finally did, I did miss out on the free upgrade and had to buy a copy. I had Win 8 on a old laptop so I knew not to install it on my desktop.

I think I mentioned that they aren't supporting my CPU for Win11 so will be an expensive upgrade, will need a new motherboard along with a new CPU and probably new memory also. Will probably wait until they stop supporting Win10.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:03 pm

Sorry Dave, I can't answer that. This Windows 11 is my first experience with ANY Windows. When I was still working, most of my time was spent on CAD related software. Not much time on Windows, which I did actually have, but back then I think it was Windows 5 which I used very little.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:50 pm

There was never a Windows 5 (there kind of was but they were automotive, phone and pda versions). There was Windows NT4.0 which was made for workstations and servers.

https://microsoft.fandom.com/wiki/List_ ... s_versions
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:04 pm

dave77 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:50 pm
There was never a Windows 5 (there kind of was but they were automotive, phone and pda versions). There was Windows NT4.0 which was made for workstations and servers.

https://microsoft.fandom.com/wiki/List_ ... s_versions
:D Maybe that's what it was then. It's been awhile. ;) My focus was on design software.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:32 pm

Ah men to that John. We have had an I-Mac for several years and like you I would not take windows computer as a gift. Once you go Mac you will never go back.
0 x

TheBackyardRange
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TheBackyardRange » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:06 pm

I have bought a couple HP's in the last 2 years. I used to hate HP but these have been pretty good so far. Get as much RAM as you can afford in it when you buy it. That's what usually kills a laptop prematurely. Not enough available memory for current apps. They keep getting bigger and bigger.
0 x
“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” ― Ronald Reagan

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:27 pm

Travlin wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:32 pm
Ah men to that John. We have had an I-Mac for several years and like you I would not take windows computer as a gift. Once you go Mac you will never go back.
My daughter has Macs. She likes them, but then she rarely reorganizes her files and folders.

Last time time we tried it was impossible to drag and drop (move) a folder of files somewhere else. It was necessary to create a new directory and copy files one at a time to the new folder. Then go back and delete the old files and folder. Time consuming pain in the a$$. In windows it's one motion in under 5 seconds.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234