Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Laptop Recommendations

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:10 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 pm
markiver54 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:02 pm
I think it's between two models I'm looking at. A Dell and a Lenovo.
Maureen has a HP and I have a Lenovo .... both from Best Buy .... both really do well .... just make sure you like the feel of the keyboard and go with the one that suits you best
Yes, a couple of the reviews on the Lenovo mentioned it having a very comfortable keyboard.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:33 pm

I don't know enough about computers to make any reccomemdations, but I can tell you what I have. I had a Dell and a Gateway desktop in early 2000's. Gateway first then a Dell. Both were slowing down and freezing up after 1-2 years. Bought apple laptop in 2007 and give it to granddaughter 2 years ago. No problems. We bought new MacBook Air last year. Also iPhone and iPad users. We use the iPads for most everything now.

Don
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:18 am

Can't comment much on a Mac computer. Those who use them, that I have spoken to, seem to like them. I recall using one once; it did not persuade me to switch. I have handled a few Lenovo products, not bad. Of the customer support that I had to deal with (Dell, HP, Fujitsu, Lenovo), I tend to lean towards Dell's, seems to be more user friendly.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:34 am

GFK wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:18 am
Can't comment much on a Mac computer. Those who use them, that I have spoken to, seem to like them. I recall using one once; it did not persuade me to switch. I have handled a few Lenovo products, not bad. Of the customer support that I had to deal with (Dell, HP, Fujitsu, Lenovo), I tend to lean towards Dell's, seems to be more user friendly.
Thank you! I will keep that in mind as I compare them later today.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:42 am

Why Windows sucks:

QUOTE: MS has some very talented programmers. They're not very common, but they exist. The problem is that the entire company is completely and totally focused on developing an absurd number of new features and products, giving them completely unrealistic deadlines, and then shipping software on those deadlines no matter how half-assed or buggy it is.

The idea is that everything is serviceable over the internet now, so they can just "fix it later", except they never do. This perpetuates a duct-tape culture that refuses to actually fix problems and instead rewards teams that find ways to work around them. The talented programmers are stuck working on code that, at best, has to deal with multiple badly designed frameworks from other teams, or at worst work on code that is simply scrapped. New features are prioritized over all but the most system-critical bugs, and teams are never given any time to actually focus on improving their code. The only improvements that can happen must be snuck in while implementing new features.

As far as M$ is concerned, all code is xxxx, and the only thing that matters is if it works well enough to be shown at a demo and shipped. Needless to say, I don't work there anymore. UNQUOTE

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-win ... sucks.html

QUOTE: I thought the trials and tribulations of those depressing PC-building days were behind me. I’ll never see or have to deal with another blue screen ever again, I thought. Safe Mode, the BIOS, and command prompts were all things of the past. Weird, entirely stupid, and biblically nonsensical technical issues would never again darken the doorstep of my happiness.

Right?

Nope.

We’re back at square one, Dorothy. UNQUOTE

https://markellisreviews.com/this-is-w ... e-windows/

Apple products focus on seamless and user friendly features, That is why Mac owners do not yell obscenities at their computers like EVERY Windoze user does. If you get a Windoze laptop, you do have alternatives if you decide that you want something different.

https://wethegeek.com/8-best-open-sour ... ng-system/

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:18 am

Thanks John. That is some very interesting information.
I didn't realize there were so many other operating systems either.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:22 am

You can run any Linux based OS like Ubuntu from a large USB drive so you can try it out before wiping Windoze. But you have to be VERY computer literate and unafraid, or have a friend who is….

https://itsfoss.com/intsall-ubuntu-on-usb/

Why Apple?

https://www.makeuseof.com/reasons-peop ... -products/

https://www.wyzowl.com/why-do-people-l ... e-so-much/

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:52 pm

I can understand. I have used a few Linux based OSs, some with the friendly user interface. Each have their pluses and minuses. Yet, there is a reason why so many businesses and schools (at least the ones that I have interacted with) stick with the MS product. I have been using some version of a MS product since 1984. I remember using the old MS-DOS interface. Maybe, I am partial. I have had a few programming classes. Wrote a few programs. So, I am comfortable with most computer based systems. Like anything, it is a matter of preference. Some people like Ford, while others like Chevy. Some people like Henry, while others prefer Marlin. Anything made by man will fail, sooner or later. I tend to lean torward service after the sell. However, that is one part of the equation. The other part is how well an item is maintained. The two equal an usable life of a product. Therefore whatever a person purchases, maintenance will be a key factor in its usability. To me, it just a matter of preference.

We have choices in about everything that we do. No two people seem to like the same thing about everything. That is why there are so many versions of the same thing, even people. The most that we can do is the best that we can. If we don't like the results, learn from it and try again. In most cases, we will end up with something that we may like. Just my 2¢.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:02 pm

I want to thank everyone for their valuable input and opinions. It was very helpful!
I spent about an hour in Best Buy today talking to a very knowledgable young man. You never know, however I feel one can sense when they're talking to someone who knows their s#$t.
I came home with a Lenovo Yoga 15.6.
Still on my tablet at the moment, but will get the new one set up tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks again for ALL the input. I have two weeks to decide whether I like it or not. ( Best Buy policy )
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm

Lenovo is not bad. I would consider it as well. I just found Dells easier to maintain. But, that is just me. Hope things work out for you. More than likely, it will.
1 x