Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Laptop Recommendations

If you can give it, or need it, post here
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Laptop Recommendations

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:59 am

Lots of VERY valuable information from all of you. This is what I was looking for. Hands on experience from people I trust. These things are not cheap, but I am a believer in " you get what you pay for "
Everything said so far will be taken into consideration! It IS helpful.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 am

Me, I lean toward Dell now. I use to lean toward HP, still using a laptop about 11 years old. I started using laptops as primary computer due to desk space and flexibility (able to use a computer, while on my deck). I lean toward Dell now, due to construction. I have dealt with Fujitsu, Dell and HP. Dells seem to be more solid. My wife has Dell laptop, and it is about 7 years old. If I was to buy one today, I probably would like at Dell first.
Last edited by GFK on Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:04 am

Personally I like the portability of using an I-Pad and in fact just upgraded to the current model. The I-pad I’m typing on now is failing mostly the battery life. It’s five years old. Later today I’m going to turn on my new one and hopefully all my stuff will transfer to the new one via the cloud. I have an attached keyboard that is also the cover and folds flat. I like a regular key board v the on screen keys. I have to admit that the price difference between this five year old and the new one was shocking. :shock:

I use this I-pad only for casual surfing and email and text stuff. For financial stuff I use a laptop that never leaves the home and gets locked up in the safe when I’m out of town. With this machine I can sit in the family room with my wife and have the news on in the background.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:00 pm

Hatchdog, Apple will install a new battery in a short time at the store or by mail, I mailed my old iPad Mini 2 with worn battery last year, and received it back in just three days. Cost was less than $100. You DO need to wipe the data first. I use it as a control center in my travel trailer to run battery management, propane level, Garmin inReach, Photos and other apps. When you get your new iPad, send in the old for a new battery and keep it, gift it or sell it on Craigslist as "Apple refurbished".

IMG_3696.JPG.c901d00370a932b19b18db909c60d4ce.JPG

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John E Davies on Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:00 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:04 am
Personally I like the portability of using an I-Pad and in fact just upgraded to the current model. The I-pad I’m typing on now is failing mostly the battery life. It’s five years old. Later today I’m going to turn on my new one and hopefully all my stuff will transfer to the new one via the cloud. I have an attached keyboard that is also the cover and folds flat. I like a regular key board v the on screen keys. I have to admit that the price difference between this five year old and the new one was shocking. :shock:

I use this I-pad only for casual surfing and email and text stuff. For financial stuff I use a laptop that never leaves the home and gets locked up in the safe when I’m out of town. With this machine I can sit in the family room with my wife and have the news on in the background.
Sound like a very practical setup. Yes, the keyboard being on the screen of my tablet is the primary reason I want a laptop.
Also, my battery is getting weak. It is a Samsung Galaxy Tab "A". It is about 5 years old as well. I guess I could get a physical keyboard to go with my tablet, however instead of paying for that, plus a new battery does not seem practical at this point.
I also want to increase my storage capacity to at least 8 GB, if not 12.
Thanks for the input Hatch.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:32 pm

iPads and iPhones have their place, like trucks, vans, cars and motorcycles. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. To me, iPads and iPhones are okay for surfing the Net. Computers are more for school, business and financial work. Yes, you can haul a load of dirt in a car. But, is it the best choice? Like firearms, which is the best? Depending on what you are using it for: hunting (deer, bear, rabbit, squirrel, duck, turkey, etc.), self-defense, or CCW.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:04 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:33 am
https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-computers

If you don’t want to get a Mac, check out the other recommendations. But number 1 and number 3 are the iMac 24 and the iMac 27. Followed by the Mac Mini at number 7.

My wife has an iPhone 11Pro, I ran over it with the travel trailer (in Canada) and destroyed the glass. She was mortified, but a new front put that back into new condition. Her ancient MacBook Pro (which replaced a truly ancient MacBook), finally got flaky due to worn out USB ports and she got a new MB Air just last year. I use my iPhone 13 Mini in place of a digital SLR, the photos are so darned excellent. These devices are really put together well and their user interface and software is so VERY superior to Windoze. My wife has to use MS Office 365 for work and she swears at it daily, “#%^*+!!!! Microsoft!” It is not user friendly. It’s like Microsoft goes out of its way to make things difficult.

All the iMacs have no actual PC “box”, nothing to clutter your floor and desk with lots of extra cables. Use a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard and there are no cables at all, except for the power cord. My iMac 27 has a powered USB hub attached so I can charge and connect peripherals like an external SSD for data backups, which are completely transparent and painless using the built in Time Machine application.

If you tried to gave me a high end PC and $5000 to switch completely to Microsoft I would say no thanks… at the very least you should go to Best Buy or any big electronics store and compare them to PCs side by side.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I too swear at Microsoft and Windows when I’m at work! I use my Mac as much as possible but work is tied to microcrap.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:14 am

^^^^^^^

Thanks John for the battery info, I didn’t know that.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:02 pm

Gonna go by Best Buy tomorrow. I think it's between two models I'm looking at. A Dell and a Lenovo. Don't know though if my mind will change after talking to a Geek.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:02 pm
I think it's between two models I'm looking at. A Dell and a Lenovo.
Maureen has a HP and I have a Lenovo .... both from Best Buy .... both really do well .... just make sure you like the feel of the keyboard and go with the one that suits you best
0 x