Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Router

If you can give it, or need it, post here
Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

New Router

Post by Rifletom » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:11 pm

Good Lord, the last couple months my computer has been bogging down, buffering a lot and just a pain in the, well, you know. Asked around and just ordered a new Netgear Nighthawk AC2600 router with three external antenna's. My old one[5 years old!] is a N750. DINOSAUR!! New one ought to help everything we need it for in the house. Update when I install it.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: New Router

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:53 am

Hope that solves your problem and it's not something else. I've been experiencing the same thing lately. It IS aggravating.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:22 am

When it comes to Internet response time, a few things are involved. On the computer side, it includes how fast a CPU can access data, which has to do with CPU speed, RAM size and RAM speed. Also, the speed of the network card of the computer plays a part. Then, the speed of the Internet access plays a role as well. Finally, the Internet access point (router, the middle-man) has a role. The way that I look at it: if the highway speed is 75 mph (Internet access) and my car will do 120 mph (computer network card) but has a governor set at 55 mph (router), then the governor will dictate how fast I will go. So, a new router may increase performance. Just beware of the other factors, if things do not improve as you would like. RAM size and speed could impact how fast things load, as well as CPU speed could impact response time also.
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:30 am

I think my next step is to eliminate the cable router and go with a hot spot from the wireless provider.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:03 am

I have one of those Tom and mine works great. I dont have cable internet I have slow DSL from our favorite folks at Century stink. But Im able to do all I need to do and the TV works fine streaming in on the roku. If it aint broke dont fix it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:05 am

Century “stink” DSL… :lol: I’m there too and it is adequate at best.
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:13 am

GFK wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:22 am
When it comes to Internet response time, a few things are involved. On the computer side, it includes how fast a CPU can access data, which has to do with CPU speed, RAM size and RAM speed. Also, the speed of the network card of the computer plays a part. Then, the speed of the Internet access plays a role as well. Finally, the Internet access point (router, the middle-man) has a role. The way that I look at it: if the highway speed is 75 mph (Internet access) and my car will do 120 mph (computer network card) but has a governor set at 55 mph (router), then the governor will dictate how fast I will go. So, a new router may increase performance. Just beware of the other factors, if things do not improve as you would like. RAM size and speed could impact how fast things load, as well as CPU speed could impact response time also.
Great analogy
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:21 pm

GFK wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:22 am
Holy smokes! Hope the new router helps as the other items are way beyond me. Good info tho.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:57 pm

I got rid of DSL (Verizon, 1.5 Mbps download speeds/.8 Mbps upload speeds) and DirecTV, and went with cable (300 Mbps download speeds/10 Mbps upload speeds) for phone and Internet. No more buffering or frozen screens. We use Firestick, PureFlix and Peacock for news and movies. I think my wife pays something for PureFlix. For me, free is better. But, she seems to like movies and wants them to be clean. TV, I can take it or leave it. But, I don't live by myself. So, we have apps. for viewing movies. Even so, I still came out $100+ ahead and got faster Internet access as well.

P.S.
I got a different and new router also. I am renting it from the cable company. But, it supports the phone service as well. I probaly could buy one. Yet, the company cannot point the finger at the box, if the service or speed starts to decrease. Well, it can. But, it will have to take care of it.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:36 pm

OK. New router installed, passwords taken care of and presto! Waaaay faster, no stinking buffering on anything. Happy camper. Put router behind my desk top screen, about 1.5' from modem. And no colorful language involved! Ahhh!
3 x