Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Transfering files to new PC

If you can give it, or need it, post here
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Transfering files to new PC

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:03 pm

Simple question, maybe not easily answered.

Can I use a a standard USB cable to transfer files and directories from the hard drive of my old Dell Windows computer to a new Dell Windows computer? I'll need to be able to read the drive on the old PC using the File Explorer in the new PC.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Transfering files to new PC

Post by dave77 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:49 pm

Not sure, if its a usb hard drive I would think your new computer should see it when you connect it. What I've done when I build a new computer is put the files I want to move on a flash drive. I now have a external usb hard drive (My Passport) for backup so when I did a clean install of Win10 to my computer I was able to pull the files I wanted from it.

I have a hard drive separate from the OS/programs SSD drive in my computer that has my desktop and document/pictures/video folders on it and computer also does a weekly backup to the external drive.

Now that you can get a Samsung 1TB SSD for around $100 I'm thinking of replacing my 1 TB HHD with one.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:49 pm
Not sure, if its a usb hard drive I would think your new computer should see it when you connect it. What I've done when I build a new computer is put the files I want to move on a flash drive. I now have a external usb hard drive (My Passport) for backup so when I did a clean install of Win10 to my computer I was able to pull the files I wanted from it.

I have a hard drive separate from the OS/programs SSD drive in my computer that has my desktop and document/pictures/video folders on it and computer also does a weekly backup to the external drive.

Now that you can get a Samsung 1TB SSD for around $100 I'm thinking of replacing my 1 TB HHD with one.
I also have a MyPassport drive I've been backing up the old PC on for the past 5 years or so. I know I can retrieve files from it. But the last BU was in April. Problem is the integrated graphics circuitry on the old Dell went belly up a few days ago, so monitor no workee. I'm using my laptop right now till the new Dell gets here.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:11 pm

Will a usb cable connect to your old internal hard drive? I think you could probably connect it to your motherboard if it's sata, new computer should boot up from it's hard drive. Hopefully someone with more computer knowledge than me will be along.

I use the program that came with my Passport to auto backup my files. It's ok but it just adds new stuff when it backs up, I wish it would delete files that have been deleted from the computer.

Found this article which may help.
https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/how ... indows-10/
0 x