Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Best Buy Geek Squad Service Plan

If you can give it, or need it, post here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Best Buy Geek Squad Service Plan

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:36 am

right up front, this is not an endorsement or rejection .... back in late January we purchased 2 new laptops from Best Buy in Conroe, TX .... as part of the deal we wanted our old laptops checked for any virus type issues and the program data transferred to our new computers .... to perform this operation their standard charge is $99.99 per computer .... the sales person we worked with recommended buying a one year "Geek Squad Service Plan" for one cent more ($199.99) that covers bunches of in home, in store, and in store vehicle services .... without any serious consideration, we bought it .... doing so has turned out to be a very good thing for us .... in addition to data transfer mentioned above, we just had them install a replacement GPS antenna wire in our Sportchassis (list price for this service is $64.99) at no cost to us .... today one of their techs is due to come to our camper and setup a wireless printer system .... normal charge $99.99, having the service plan our charge will be $49.99 .... when we get back home I plan to have a new backup camera installed in our truck .... normal labor charge starts at $99.99, with the service plan there will be no labor charge .... I doubt we will renew this plan in January 2021 but so long as we have it, I plan to get all of the use out of it that I can
3 x

JEBar
United States of America

Re: Best Buy Geek Squad Service Plan

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:12 pm

our HP Laser Jet Pro M15w printer is up and running .... without 3+ hours of work from a very competent member of the Geek Squad, that would not be the case .... further, I would never have been able to get it preforming as advertised .... the reason is simple, the instructions that came with the printer are way beyond pathetic .... the printer has its own wireless system .... it does not require a separate wireless source for it to print without a cable hookup .... what they do not tell you is, without a separate wireless source, its almost impossible to get the one in the printer operational ..... it took a the Geek working on our system about 2 hours to of working with their top resource to figure it out .... bottom line, we can now print from either of our laptops located in or around the camper .... it really works well
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:31 pm

earlier this morning a member of Best Buy's Geek Squad came by to take care of some issues we were having with a new printer and getting it to work wirelessly with Maureen's computer .... it took her less than 20 minutes to resolve all issues .... when you know as little as we do about electronics in general, its nice to have a resource available to take care of issues as they arrise
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:57 am

well, the Geek just left .... he is a very personable young fellow who knows his business .... he took care of the issue with our new printer.... apparently something happened when our power was going off and on during Hurricane Ian .... the problem with the old printer we keep in our camper is its basically worn out .... I'm sure that the years of bouncing down the road during out Texas and South Dakota trips have taken its toll .... he gave us recommendations based on years of working on them for ones to consider .... we continue to be well pleased with the quality of service we've received
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:43 pm

just returned from our local Best Buy .... we dropped my laptop off for them to check it out and tune it up .... by the time we got home we received an email saying it will be ready for pickup Friday after 1PM .... based on looking at printers while we were there we just ordered a replacement for the one in our camper .... by ordering it we qualified for their Black Friday sale price which saved us $90 and gives us free shipping .... we've booked the same Geek to come on Dec 4th to take care of installing it and connecting it to our laptops
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:53 pm

for us Windows 10 worked well and I had little to no interest in learning a new system .... for a good while, popup windows on my laptop screen have promised the conversion to Windows 11 would be easy to adapt to and the change would go smoothly ..... well. the download appeared go well and didn't take long at all .... a few weeks after the switch, my computer would begin to run through its startup sequence and then the screen would go blank .... it wouldn't respond to the mouse or keyboard .... the first time I was able to hold down one of the F keys as I pushed the on/off button and got it to start in what they used to call safe mode .... took it to the Geeks at Best Buy and they made it work but told me that with what I'd done they couldn't say for sure it was fixed .... further, if/when it should do it again, I should cut it off and bring it directly to them .... well that happened last evening .... this morning I had it back at the Geeks about the same time they opened of business .... it appears that the something in the Windows 11 download didn't play nice with my laptop's operating system .... they should have it fixed and ready for me to pickup in a couple of days .... knowing what I know now, I should have declined the upgrade
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:14 pm

My computer is old but when I built it the parts were near top of the line. Even though my CPU is more powerful than a lot of the newer ones that are supported it's not on the supported list. I think maybe MS has an agreement with computer manufacturers to force people to buy new computers. I will be waiting until MS stops supporting Win10 (Oct 2025) to upgrade to Win11. They should have all the bugs worked out by then and I will only have to get a new mother board and CPU and possibly some new memory and maybe a newer Graphics Card. Unfortunately as a late updater I will also have to pay for a copy of Win11 just like I did with Win10.

1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:36 pm

just got a notice from the Geeks that my laptop is ready to be picked up .... we've just scheduled an appointment to pick it up at 1:40PM tomorrow .... I'm really looking forward to getting it back
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:43 pm

happy to report that the Geeks had my laptop ready and waiting when we got there for the appointment .... they apparently had to make a copy of the things saved, delete them and everything else, remove then reload the operating system, and then reinstall the saved materials .... have been working with it for a couple of hours and all seems to be good
0 x