Razor Sharp

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Razor Sharp

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:13 pm
GG, I have two old Stanley's: a #5 and a # 203. They belonged to my Grandfather and are still in excellent shape. And damn sharp! I used the smaller one(203) on my work bench. Worked great.
The old (pre WWII) Stanley's are great, but you couldn't pay me to take a new one. I have several (and some older other brands). Usually pick them up cheap at yard sales and such. Most require some rework/restoration, or small part replacement. Kinda like buying old guns as projects and bringing them back to life. :) There's also a huge assortment of custom wood body planes that are made for specific cuts for moldings, etc. Those are usually made by the woodworker as needed. Good ones are a real joy to use. I like hand tools much more than power tools like routers & power planers, mostly because they are quiet and you have more control over the cut, but I do have both. Power tools are good for rough cuts, but handtools are best for high quality precision work.

Power tools just make it easier to really screw up fancy (and expensive) wood faster. :lol:

Here's some of my plane, etc. collection (all are workers).

1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:56 pm

That is a wonderful collection of wood planes. I had more, but, gave them to a friend who was really into woodwork. Thanks for sharing those planes. Probably not a lot of users of those nowadays. I think they're neat as heck.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 pm

I'm not a woodworker, just a backyard carpenter at best but I do enjoy watching The Woodwright's Shop on PBS.

Didn't realize there were so many episodes available online. Here's a recent one on planes.

https://www.pbs.org/video/combination-p ... on-vp5ie6/
0 x