Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buck 110 -- The Sheath Saga

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Buck 110 -- The Sheath Saga

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Not really a "saga." Just a light-bulb idea I had over the weekend.

Along with my Buck 110 Chairman Series knife, Buck also provided a very nice black leather sheath (vertical carry design, point up or down). However, I really like to carry a knife horizontal on the belt, and not vertical. So I contacted a BF sheath maker, who does quite nice leather work, and asked what it would take to build what I wanted. He was both very helpful, and very honest, too!

He told me that style of sheath would cost more than the knife did, plus there was an additional cost of shipping the 110 to him as a "template," which he'd use to build the custom sheath.   I figured that might be what was coming, and the price really didn't discourage me. But I've decided to sit on it, and think about whether I want to go that route.

After I chatted with the fellow, I had a "light-bulb" idea about the sheath that came with the knife.  On our Henry Forum last summer, I read about rifle leather lever wraps some Henry Folk added to their levers. They looked cool, and I decided to try one out for my Henry Small Game Carbine.   To be honest, after I received it I forgot about it, and now found that I like my Henry large lever unobstructed.  So here is the light-bulb moment I had.

I took that leather lever wrap with the leather "string," and fashioned a kind of "belt loop" opposite direction on the back side of my Buck sheath.  Basically, I tried to "turn" the sheath for my belt carry 45 degrees.  My project came together okay. I tried the it out already, and the heavy 110 seems to carry well in the horizontal position.  Of course, I don't know yet how this home-made fix will survive.  I'm going to use it as EDC for a while, see how it holds, and then will decide on whether to get the hand-made sheath.  

Here are a few pics of my light-bulb idea.  Of course, you don't see any of the added leather I used other than the criss-crossing on front of the sheath.  Bottom line, a pretty rookie adjust.   It was a fun distraction to think through this mini project; and even more fun that it has worked so far! Here are some photos....
DSCN1747.JPG
DSCN1749.JPG
DSCN1755.JPG
DSCN1751.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Buck 110 -- The Sheath Saga

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:03 pm

nicely done .... a country boy will survive ... :D
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Looks very good and easy to use.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:29 pm

Looks practical, for sure.
1 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:39 am

I think it should work pretty well. The horizontal loop looks like good, thick leather. Nice work.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 am

Great idea and it sounds like it should work for you.

Cate
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:39 am

Very nice.

Maybe when you've had it as long as I've had my 110, your sheath and knife will have a nice patina like mine. :lol:

I've had it since the 70's and it was my daily carry for at least 25 years. Doesn't show real well in the photo but the flap wore clear through and I also had to put a new belt loop on it.

3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am

dave, it looks like you got your money's worth out of that sheath. The knife looks like it has had plenty of use, still ready to work.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:33 am

gotta love a 110 .... Buck introduced the 110 back in '64 .... I bought my first one as a high school graduation gift for myself in '65 .... over time I sharpened it so often that the blade was about the same shape (but a good bit smaller) .... I called Buck and asked if they could put a new blade in it but I them told them I didn't want the handle replaced becasuse it had earned every blemish, nick, and scar .... they wrote up a return authorization and I sent it back to them .... they replaced the blade and polished up the handle a bit .... when I got it back, I gave it to our youngest son to hold until he felt his son was ready .... bought another, went through the same process and gave it to our oldest son for his son .... I'm now on my 3rd
0 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:30 pm

I have a few Buck 110 folding knives.I will start posting picture when I learn how.
1 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.