Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone buy damascus steel knife blanks

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Anyone buy damascus steel knife blanks

Post by dave77 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:33 pm

FYI, this site has some high end damascus 5" Santoku's but they're pretty pricey.
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/cu ... &isx=0.0.0

I've had my Zelite Infinity Santoku for a couple of years now and have been quite happy with it, holds it's edge very well, it is due for a good stone sharpening but I mostly just have to give it a quick touch-up with my ceramic rod. I acually use my Damascus paring knife more than the Santoku.

https://zelite.com/product/executive-pl ... oku-knife/

https://zelite.com/product/executive-pl ... ing-knife/

Ran across this one when I was looking and it looks interesting, may have to order one, it's not terribly expensive.

https://zelite.com/product/alpha-royal- ... uki-knife/

Looking forward to seeing your completed Santoku.
0 x

needsmostuff
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by needsmostuff » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 am

clovishound wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:49 pm
Now I have to decided whether to use the two piece rivets that come with the kit, or buy some brass rod and use that. I think I like the looks of the brass pins better, and they are perhaps a little less finicky to prep than the rivets.
I use a lot of brass pins. When properly prepped , fit and epoxied I have never had a failure.
Rivets can want to go wonkey sideways.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:14 am

Do you use a taper ream to put a slight taper in the holes and then peen them to get a good mechanical lock, or just epoxy them in as is?
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Here it is. I thought about taking some pictures while I was going through the process, but got caught up in putting it together. It was a lot more work than I thought. They make it look so easy on the vids. I had to do a lot of fiddling in the fitting. That was mainly because I had such a small blank. If I were working with larger scale blanks, it would have gone quicker. A stationary belt sander would have made the process much quicker as well. I ended up using scrapers and a very sharp chisel, besides a lot of sandpaper.

I may make another one or two. I really like the knife, and would love to see one made with bloodwood. I really love that wood for a lot of smaller stuf and accents.

knife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:52 pm

clovishound wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:27 pm
Here it is.
Beautiful work. I love the wood grain and stain. Thanks for sharing it with us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Woodcraft sells some really cool mosaic pins for the knives... I might break down and order some. I have seen them in a couple finished knives, they look sharp if you choose wisely.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/mosa ... -x-4-23-32

Of course they come in various designs and thicknesses.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:39 pm

I thought about getting some of the mosaic pins. I decided I would rather have something I could peen. I even got a taper ream so I could enlarge the opening to the bores to give a dovetail effect to the peened pins.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Sorry, did a quote instead of an edit and a duplicate was posted. Now it won't let me delete it.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 am

Well, I'm going to do one of these in the chef knife for my buddy. That is if I can ever get the kit delivered. I've decided to use some wenge I had forgotten I had, and then found in the shop while I was looking for the bocote I knew I had. I eventually found the bocote as well, but it may be a little on the short side, unless I decide to use it with the grain running side to side rather than in line with the blade.

I actually think the wenge should look great. I am experimenting with doing a quick and dirty stabilization, even though this wood shouldn't really need it. I'm soaking the blanks in wood hardener then letting them dry prior to mounting and working them. I tried it out on a small piece and I think it will really improve the water resistance of the wood.

Will post a pic with the results once I finally get the blank in.

Edited to add, I got the blank in today and got started on it. Will probably take a few days to complete. I have to wait for glue to cure, and time is at a premium right now. I should be able to get it done before Christmas, if I don't run into any snags.
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:02 pm

Well, I finished the knife for my buddy just in time. I will give it to him tomorrow.

Had some issues, and it's not perfect, but I don't have the time or patience right now to deal with them. I really messed up on the first one I did, but the second blank came in Sat, so I just started from scratch on the new blank. The imperfactions on this one are rather minor, and I can fix them later, if I can get my buddy to give it back to me for a day or so. I'll fix the knife I made the first go round at my leisure. I messed up the brass pins, and will either have to try and drill them out and replace with a larger size, or skin it and start from scratch. Unfortunately, I used the last of the wenge for this one.
knifeb.jpg
knifea.JPG
I did a quick sharpen on my buddy's knife and tested it out on a tomato, WOW, falls right through it. It is a much stiffer blade and a lot heavier than the knife I use most of the time, but I think I will really like it. Yes, the second blank is for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x