Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone buy damascus steel knife blanks

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Anyone buy damascus steel knife blanks

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:11 am

I'm thinking about dipping my toes in the "knife making" pool. Actually, it would just be an extension of woodworking. I see lots of companies sell knife "blanks", which are completed knives without a handle. I really like the look of the damascus steel blades, and have considered getting one and trying my hand at adding the handle.

I see a lot of the damascus blanks are made in Pakistan, and reviews are mixed, prices are often quite low. There are several sources for American made blanks. The prices aren't cheap, but I assume that quality is much more consistent. I have been looking at some from Alabama Damascus.

Anyone have experience with putting a handle on a knife, damascus steel blades, or companies that sell the damascus blanks?

I've done enough research online to know some of the basics of the handle making process, and some of the advantages/disadvantages of HCS damascus blades. Any views on the subject would be appreciated. I'm toying with the idea of eventually putting together a hunting knife for my buddy as a Christmas present. I may try making a kitchen knife, maybe just a small utility knife for myself as a test bed.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Anyone buy damascus steel knife blanks

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:16 am

that should be interesting .... looking forward to following your efforts
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 am

I made a very nice kitchen knife from a damascus kit from woodcraft for Tina, it's two years old now and still her go to knife in the kitchen when the size is right. I got an email a couple days ago showing both single knives and kitchen sets on sale. German Damascus in particular.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am

I think the build along might be here under hobbies.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3917

Two Woodcraft kits in the buildalong.
I've got several kits in the shop waiting, but had no time since the move. I need to do one with cocobolo scales to match new grips for the .45. :)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

needsmostuff
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by needsmostuff » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:27 pm

I have been rehandling things for years and a real habit of doing knives. So , here's some thoughts.
Buying finished blades and even more so kits will border on buying a completed knife pricewise and still don't have a sheath. A fine product can be the result if that is what you are looking for.
My suggestion is look around you for some first projects. Kitchen or butcher knives with cracked or warped wood, tired ole hunting knives with split stag or even cheap Chinese knives picked up solely to de-handle and re-handle. Nice wood is easy enough to source and no need on exhibition grade stuff while getting your feet wet. Learn your rivets and epoxys.
Start slow , be fearless, but you will make a few mistakes. You will know when it is time to get to the next step.
Beware , it is a rabbit hole that will lead to pistol grips (no revolver will be safe around you) , making whole knives , stockpiling cool handle materials and tools ,,,,really cool tools.
2 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:17 pm

I was given a very nice custom made laminated steel blade hunting knife with a heavy leather sheath all with Masonic emblems on the handle and sheath by one of the Brothers that I helped get through his degree work. I checked on it and found that it was a lot more knife than I could have ever furnished myself.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:43 am

needsmostuff wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:27 pm
I have been rehandling things for years and a real habit of doing knives. So , here's some thoughts.
Buying finished blades and even more so kits will border on buying a completed knife pricewise and still don't have a sheath. A fine product can be the result if that is what you are looking for.
My suggestion is look around you for some first projects. Kitchen or butcher knives with cracked or warped wood, tired ole hunting knives with split stag or even cheap Chinese knives picked up solely to de-handle and re-handle. Nice wood is easy enough to source and no need on exhibition grade stuff while getting your feet wet. Learn your rivets and epoxys.
Start slow , be fearless, but you will make a few mistakes. You will know when it is time to get to the next step.
Beware , it is a rabbit hole that will lead to pistol grips (no revolver will be safe around you) , making whole knives , stockpiling cool handle materials and tools ,,,,really cool tools.
Yep. I trod that path for a few years. I sometimes made wood sheaths. Here's one I did for a young boy a few years ago. I had access to a laser for engraving at the time. Just to stir his imagination on the possibilities: :)

Some fancy walnut I had on hand. Small magnets are embedded inside the sheath to retain the blade.

And a couple folders. One ebony, one rosewood.

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:23 am

needsmostuff wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:27 pm
I'm not looking to save money here. I understand that the complete knife blanks run about as much as a complete knife. I've thought about locating an older knife that needed a handle. Wood is no problem. I have lots of scraps and small pieces of really nice wood in my shop, as well as some of the tools necessary to work on a handle. I've been down the rabbit hole before buying old hand planes and rehabbing them. I ended up buying a small lathe to be able to make plane knobs and chisel handles with and went down another rabbit hole years back.

In other news, I talked to my buddy yesterday about damascus steel knives, and decided that it would not make a good gift for him. He prefers more practical blades.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Update, I decided to order the damascus steel Santoku kit and put a handle on it for the Pup. She really likes the small Santoku she got a couple years ago, but is unhappy with how long it holds an edge. It's hard to find the smaller Santokus. I got it in yesterday and found that a small piece of bocote I had will just fit the handle. I went ahead and resawed the blank and trued the scales up. Now I have to decided whether to use the two piece rivets that come with the kit, or buy some brass rod and use that. I think I like the looks of the brass pins better, and they are perhaps a little less finicky to prep than the rivets. I'll post a pic when I finish.

I couldn't resist putting an edge on it right away. Still needs a little work, but will shave now. Nice looking blade. The stainless steel damascus isn't as pretty as the high carbon steel, but I doubt she would be happy with a HCS blade for cooking.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:56 pm

PICTURES !!!!

;)
0 x