Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

EC Blade

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

EC Blade

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 pm

a few years ago a friend got interested in making knives .... since then I've given him a bunch of old mower blades, leaf springs taken off of our camper, drum brake hubs and such .... much to my delight, he made a knife for me .... the case was cut from a single sheet of leather .... the handles are made of cherry burl wood .... I have to admit I had to look up the word burl .... it is "scary" sharp .... the blade is regular steel, not stainless so it will take a bit of oil to keep it shiny .... I like it so much that I've ordered 5 to give to our sons and grandsons for Christmas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: EC Blade

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:30 pm

VERY nice Jim!!
Your friend is a great craftsman....and friend.👍
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:03 pm

kind words appreciated .... he's very meticulous and really enjoys making knives .... the blade shown was made from a thick lawn more blade .... I already know the blade is hard, it will be interesting to see how it holds its edge and how difficult it is to resharpen .... its a knife that I have absolutely no need for but I'd be hard pressed to part with it .... its old school in that when you take its grip in your hand, you know you are holding a very solid knife
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Nice knife!!!!
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:44 pm

Beautiful custom knife there. I have several semi custom blades and I always go for the carbon steel blade such as yours. They take on a nice patina and are easy to sharpen but will hold an edge much better then stainless. Stainless is soft and when sharpening, you really have to know what you are doing or you will simply just roll the edge from one side to the other trying to reach the apex. Carbon steel can take a keener edge and stay that way for a long time but it is easier to sharpen which is what we all want.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Team Roper wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:44 pm
carbon steel blade such as yours. They take on a nice patina
understood .... I really like the shiny look but know that if I use it, it won't stay shiny very long
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:18 pm

VERY NICE!
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

needsmostuff
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by needsmostuff » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Certainly looks like a fun ,useable blade .
I've made a few blades and have found mower blades to be a crap shoot. Some very good and hardenable , some not so much.
For the salvage steels I much prefer leaf springs for a constant in quality.
Patina is good but if you are worried about rust attacking simple cold blue or barrel brown is simple and easy to touch up if needed.
If not using much best to store it out of the sheath.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:57 pm

he said he was pleased with the way the blade hardened .... I do plan on using it and should quickly learn if it is going to be a working blade
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:43 pm

for the last couple of days, she's been a working blade .... chopping various veggies needed to make squash relish and slicing cucumbers to make mountain pickles .... after two days of copping the blades remained sharp but not shaving sharp .... it took me a while to get my edge angle honed in place .... from now on it shouldn't take anywhere near as long to sharpen .... I now believe the blade to be well tempered .... its the first knife I've owned in many years that doesn't have some sort of stainless in the blade .... working with it brings back some really good memories
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x