Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Favorite field dressing knife

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Favorite field dressing knife

Post by Team Roper » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:18 am

My little L.T. Wright has become my favorite knife for field dressing deer.
DSC_1264 (2).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Favorite field dressing knife

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:11 pm

my favorite used to be a Browning multiple blade folding knife with a gut hook .... tried to find it so as to be able to post a picture but have no clue where it is .... at times like this, I most often find one of our sons has whatever I'm looking for .. :roll: .. with those Brownings now made in China, I'd most likely buy a Buck Knive 183 Alpha Crosslock Dual 2 Blade Folding Knife ===> https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-Alph ... 237&sr=8-1
1 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:06 am

JEBar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:11 pm
my favorite used to be a Browning multiple blade folding knife with a gut hook .... tried to find it so as to be able to post a picture but have no clue where it is .... at times like this, I most often find one of our sons has whatever I'm looking for .. :roll: .. with those Brownings now made in China, I'd most likely buy a Buck Knive 183 Alpha Crosslock Dual 2 Blade Folding Knife ===> https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-Alph ... 237&sr=8-1
Looks perfect. That hollow ground blade will cut like cutting butter.
0 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

needsmostuff
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by needsmostuff » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Haven't blooded either yet but they look like they ought to work.

2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:39 pm

needsmostuff wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:05 pm
Haven't blooded either yet but they look like they ought to work.
they most certainly do .... very nice indeed
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:19 am

My favorite one is the one that is the sharpest at that moment.
2 x

Shawlerbrook
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Shawlerbrook » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:14 pm

My favorite is a small narrow fixed blade Buck and my Wyoming knife.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:40 am

It’s certainly not the prettiest knife out there, but for gutting or skinning wildlife it is an amazing tool. It uses 60 blade scalpel blades that you can change out in about 3 seconds. I keep one clipped to my binocular harness at all times. A fixed blade Kershaw is always within reach too as I’m always in bear/cat country.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9 ... UTF8&psc=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

fergy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by fergy » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:49 pm

I've got a knife I built 20 years ago that I use for field dressing and skinning/quartering. I built it because I needed a long, slender blade to reach where I needed. I got lucky with the blade because it has held up and keeps it's edge really well. It was the first with a silver guard which is held on with silver pins peened. I made a twin with walnut laminated scales for my wife's brother.
This photo was taken 20 years ago and I hadn't finished his knife yet as you can see.
IMGP0256.JPG
I have always wanted and drooled over the Case X-Changer with the stag grip. Just never could handle the price but I like the idea of one knife with interchangeable blades with a bone saw and a gut hook. A couple of years ago I happened upon this Elk Ridge knockoff of the Case on Amazon and it was listed for under $14. It is the only China made knife I've ever been interested in and I figured it would be a piece of junk bot for 14 dollars I chanced it. Has the same blade locking/unlocking mechanism as the Case and when I got it I was impressed with the blades. I'm sure they are thinner than the Case but they are very sharp. The saw blade is more beefy than the knife blades and is aggressively sharp.
Elk Ridge X-Changeable Blade.jpg
The body was poorly finished and had sharp edges everywhere. I spent an afternoon in the shop sanding off sharp edges and polishing just to make the knife usable but it turned out fine and it works well for what I wanted it for. I now gut the deer with the knife I made and use the Elk Ridge for skinning and quartering. The bone saw works but I use a battery powered reciprocating saw for opening up the chest, cutting off the feet and though the pelvic bones. Takes seconds. I hunt with a quad runner so I have space for such gear!
I keep a Gerber Gator with the rubber grip in the backpack as a spare which is also a very capable field dressing knife.
gerber gator.jpg
0 x
Fergy, Burnet TX
Big Boy .44 mag