Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A New Build (Along)

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A New Build (Along)

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:03 pm

I have started a new build, and it may be a double header, a tanto and a skinner. If there is an interest, I'll make it a build along, and I'll post the pics as I go as I have done before. If not, I'll just post the pics of the completed knife (Knives?) when I'm done. You know me, I'll post them all, screw ups too. It's already started, the first set of scales for the Tanto, became scales for the skinner when their wasn't enough space on the blank for two panels. :twisted: Yeah, it looks like it might be one of "Those" builds. :lol:

Let me know....
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: A New Build (Along)

Post by Travlin » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:23 pm

Let us see how it's done.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:42 pm

I'll download the first few pics later this evening.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:17 pm

I buy the blade blanks from various sources. I have too many issues to set up a forge and beat the metal into blanks. I thought about it, but with all the arthritis, and surgeries... I'm good buying the blanks. :lol: I am quick to tell folks that I buy them. There is still a lot you can do to personalize the knife from that point forward. These knives will be quick and dirty, but I'll make the next ones more complicated.

To start, I open the drawer with all the wood I have set aside for possible blanks and choose something to fit the blank I have chosen. For this Tanto Blank I have chosen this nice piece of Spalted Maple.

01 spalted maple.jpg

I lay out the blank on the maple to insure the grain will run the way I want it too, then trace it. I mark which side the blank will be for. I lay out the other side and mark it as well. I check and recheck. You only get one shot at cutting. Setting up the bandsaw, I make the cuts, it's close, the layout was very crowded. You always try to leave extra, and don't try and get perfect shapes to start. You can trim up before glue up if you like.

02 cut out.jpg

As I test fitted the blanks, I realized that they would be TOO close and I would not have the room to shape without risking losing the edge and exposing the metal of the blank. Back to the drawer. I chose another blank for the Tanto and set the Maple aside for now. I found a nice cocobolo piece and laid out the Tanto. Looks good.

*** Look at the Tanto blank in the first picture, and the blank in the third picture. Note the finger guard shape. I didn't like the squared off bottom of that guard, and took it to the 1" belt sander. Went thru the 60, 80, and 120 grit belts and rounded that edge... much smoother flow, but still will anchor the middle finger on the grip.

03 cocobolo.jpg

This will be a close fit but I'll be careful. Note the grain on the layout. It should look nice when the shaping is done. A peek in the drawer with knife blanks, and Hmmm... I think I can use one of the halves of the maple on the skinner blank and bookmatch it. We'll find out tomorrow. I have been at this for nearly two hours and that's my shop time limit.

04 skinner.jpg

Most of this process can be done from the Wheelchair, but I had to spend most of today waiting on the phone repair tech, so the day was shot before I got started. Watch this space... tomorrow we'll hope for progress. :)

If anyone has questions or comments during the process, please feel free to jump in. I am still learning, and am a hobbyist at this. I don't claim to know it all. I can certainly share what I know but welcome tips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:41 pm

I thought before I posted the morning's work, I'd post the working checklist I use so y'all can follow along. The checklists I use for various things help me stay on track... with a poor short term memory, I try and "Remember" to follow the dang thing. :lol:

05 checklist 1.jpg
06 checklist 2.jpg

I use them for all sorts of things and they keep me in line. I have one especially for trips. Packing and one for just prior to leaving the house.
Then one for the return. You'd be surprised at the little things you might forget that would bite you in the butt. How many times have you heard this phrase?

"I thought YOU did!"
:o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:44 pm

So, the first step this morning was to lay out the scales for the Skinner using the failed scales for the Tanto. I really like the looks of the spalted maple for scales, though some don't. I played with the design, trying to decide how it was going to go, then took my time and used my circle template to finish the ends. I came up with this...

07 layout maple.jpg

Went back to the Cocobolo and went over the layout again, paying careful attention to the grain pattern.

08 layout cocobolo.jpg
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:53 pm

So, off to the bandsaw. Set the height, hook up the dust collection and position the lighting... and we are ready to cut.

09 to the bandsaw.jpg

Since the scales are pretty small, and I don't want to cut too close, I'll make the rough cuts on the saw and do the final shaping on the sanders. To insure I can make the tight turns I start with relief cuts. Once the initial shape of the maple scales has been cut out, I raise the saw and stand the maple on it's backbone. I had measured the thickness, at 16 mm. I marked a reference line down the middle at 8mm and bookmatched the maple scales. Now I had two the same shape and thickness.

10 relief cuts.jpg

I take my time and don't try and get too tight or make things pretty at this point. Final shaping will take place later. We want a general shape to help get the scales positioned on the blade blanks. Better to be well oversized and shape down to the blank. You can't put wood back. (Okay, you can, but it sucks.)

11 both rough cut out.jpg

The cocobolo piece was thin and wide so I cut the same shape out twice. Both came out beautifully. I don't think I messed these up. (Yet.) :roll:
Watch this space, I still have plenty to do, so plenty of chances. :lol:
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:47 pm

That spalted maple is a beautiful piece of wood, will like seeing it when you get some finish on it. What are your plans for finishing it? I would think natural would be best to keep the big contrast between the dark and light.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:28 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:47 pm
That spalted maple is a beautiful piece of wood, will like seeing it when you get some finish on it. What are your plans for finishing it? I would think natural would be best to keep the big contrast between the dark and light.
What I usually do is hit it with a single pass of Watco Golden Oak with really makes the grain pop and protects the wood. Then I put about three coats of beeswax on it. Letting the wax dry and then buffing it out. With this finish if you gouge or scar the wood, you simply dab the area with the golden oak, then wax and buff and you are good to go again. The Watco Oil penetrates into the wood and protects deep. As you can see on this previous knife, the grain just POPS.

12 stained and varnished.jpg
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:16 pm

Do you warm the wood a little before putting on the finish? When I built my oak mallet I put several coats of paste wax as a finish and used a heat gun on low to make it soak in . So every year or so I can touch it up .
0 x