Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A New Build (Along)

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:41 pm

Travlin wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:16 pm
Do you warm the wood a little before putting on the finish? When I built my oak mallet I put several coats of paste wax as a finish and used a heat gun on low to make it soak in . So every year or so I can touch it up .
Yup, the wife found me a small hair dryer at Good Will for about $5 and I set it on low and warm the wood (and leather for sheaths and such) to open the grain (pores) just a bit before applying the wax (or stain/wax) on the first application and find it works very well. I'll also apply the second coat to the cold wood, then heat and watch it soak in a bit, then let it dry, and buff 'er out. Same with the third.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:43 pm

I also send a film canister or similar small container with a dab of wax with any wood or leather gift with instructions on how to rejuvenate the projects if they start to look dull. I also include a warning NOT to use furniture polish on boxes or other woodwork as it might strip off the wax or Watco oil depending on the furniture polish brand.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:12 am

The Tanto knife looks very nice cant wait to see it finished.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:02 pm

Got out this morning after my morning responsibilities were out of the way. I decided to concentrate on shaping the blanks for the Skinner first. To start out, I pulled out the folding table as it sat lower, which I needed for a proper working height for the oscillating sander. Got that bad boy set up and chose the proper size cylinder and hooked up the vacuum. Ready to rock.

12 sander.jpg

I clamped one scale lightly to the skinner blank and then positioned it exactly where I wanted it to be, ensuring that the best grain side was out. Then I tightened the clamps and rechecked the position on the blank. Satisfied, I carefully marked the edges with a dark pencil line. Then using the sander, I sanded away the excess, careful to stay outside the lines. As you can see in the image below, there is a marked difference in the two blanks.

13 smooth vs rough.jpg

I repositioned the blank, which was still oversized by at least a 1/16", and this time marked the edges by scribing the blank with a scalpel blade. Again, slowly and carefully using the sander, I removed the excess wood. Rechecked the fit. I was now where I wanted to be, SLIGHTLY oversize so there was wood for shaping but not undersize.

Now I used the shaped blank to mark the oversized "Rough" blank by clamping them together and marking the oversize blank with the pencil, and sanding to the pencil marks. (After choosing the show side and the INside.) NOW I fitted that blank to IT"S side of the blade blank, and tested for fit, clampling and marking with the scalpel. The results are shown below. This is a couple hours of work, and time for a break and lunch. :)

14 both sides shaped.jpg

NO, they don't match exactly. I will roll the edges and began shaping them a "Bit" before mounting, but final shaping to match the blank will be done by hand once they are mounted. Slow and steady. Lot's more to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:53 am

Got out in the shop this morning and started the morning by shaping the scales for the Tanto. The Cocobolo is a much harder wood than the maple and I ended up having to change the cylinder on the sander. The cocobolo killed it. :twisted: I used the rubber cleaner several times and finally
gave up.

15 shaping tanto scales.jpg

Shaping the scales down to the pencil line, and giving them that nice flow. The first scale done was checked against the blank and looked pretty good.

16 looking good.jpg

I moved to the second and worked it the same way. Before mounting either, I'll roll the forward edge where it meets the blank since that won't be available after it's mounted. Then, I can mount and glue them and began to shape them. I may also add liners to add to the thickness of the grip. Haven't decided. The pair looks pretty good. Nice grain and nice directional flow.

17 a nice pair.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:03 pm

Still feeling pretty good, so I turned to the Maple Blanks. I got an 80 grit sheet of sandpaper and addressed the bottom of the two panels. There was a VERY slight arch. Both panels need to sit dead flat if possible. Sliding them across the sandpaper will accomplish this. A bit of handwork, but I won't risk a power sander. Too thin to safely grip on the bench sander. I have had one fly out of my hand and shoot across the room like a bullet. I had it attached to a 2x4 block as someone suggested. Tape didn''t hold. :shock: Panel exploded against the wall. :cry:

18 working the maple scales.jpg

While we are at it, we are going to accomplish something else here. I don't know if you noticed or not, but there was a crack at the end of both scales, more noticeable on one than the other, but present on both. This flattening process produces something we can use. Sawdust that matches the grain color. Once I am satisfied the panels are flat. I collect the sawdust in the middle of the sandpaper and then put a dab of glue in the middle of a plastic container top. (I save them all for this purpose; Ice cream bucket, take out tubs, whatever...) Stick a popsicle stick in the glue, then in the sawdust and mix. Like putty, I fill the cracks in the scale and pack it in deep and tight. Repeat and smooth. Both scales get the treatment then use a putty knife to cut the surface flat. Let dry, then sand.

19 crack repair.jpg

After sanding, the repair is there if you look, but if you didn't know... What cracks?

20 what cracks.jpg

Much more to do... I have to decide if I will put liners between the scales and the blade blanks and if so, what colors and materials. We are approaching pucker factor time.... stay tuned.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:26 am

Very nice work. Re the filler, just like trim carpentry is not creating perfection but the illusion of perfection.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:28 am

Travlin wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:26 am
Very nice work. Re the filler, just like trim carpentry is not creating perfection but the illusion of perfection.
BTDT. I have worked with some really good carpenters over the years, and in fact my stepfather started me in woodworking. He was a magician with wood.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:40 am

I haven't quit on the project. I am waiting on an inlay for one, and some brass bar stock for the other. These things come to me... and then I screech to a halt and wait for the materials to appear. Sucks to b me.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:05 am

Got out this afternoon and got some work in. The first thing I had to do was play with the alignment of the scales on the Skinner getting the maple scale for one side just right. I checked it twice, then once more, until I was sure.

21 aligned.jpg

Once I was completely satisfied, I got the clamp tightened down and got the blank in position on the 1/2/3 blocks used in various applications from welding, to machining, to woodworking. THEY are really handy. I keep finding more and more uses. I started with a pair, now I have four.

22 clamped.jpg

One last check of position.... okay TWO last checks, then I center punched the holes in the blank to make sure the drill bits found center on the drill press. A neat trick.. you ease the bit down while lightly holding the blade blank in place and you'll feel it slightly shift when contact is made if you are a bit out of position. THEN hold tight and make the hole. Sweet.

23 centerpunched.jpg
0 x