Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A New Build (Along)

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A New Build (Along)

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:42 pm

Worked on the insert for the box this morning. First I took the frame out of the band clamp and checked to see how it would look. I think the accent strip will look good and bring out the colors in the box and the top while also hiding the overlap of the velvet liner. We'll see.

124 accent strip.jpg

The first step in this morning's task was careful measurements, then making a cardboard tray the same size as the interior of the box. I marked the interior dimensions of the box bottom in the center of a fairly stiff piece of cardboard, then added a 1/2 inch border all the way around. Flipped the piece and covered the "OFF" side with plastic wrapping tape. Now, I trimmed it to size, cut out the corner blocks then cut thru the ONE layer of cardboard at the fold points. Then I folded the sides up so the taped side was the inside of the tray and taped it to stay folded.

125 cardboard tray.jpg

Tina found this moldable foam at Hobby Lobby, she had gone to get sewing stuff, but asked if I needed anything. I asked for a couple sheets of foam to build an insert base for the knife. She bought that, but also discovered this stuff.

126 moldable foam.jpg

Never worked with this foam stuff before and there were no directions, so I donned gloves and started. Nope... the soft foam stuck to the gloves like taffy. Tossed the gloves and wet my hands. :)

Perfect. I packed the tray right up to the top edge and re-wet my hands and smoothed the foam. It won't be seen, as it will be covered with velvet, but... I smoothed it anyway. Then I pressed the knife into the foam to get the proper shape for the velvet to sit into .... I'll let it harden, then I'll cut the tape off the corners and open up the tray and hopefully it wasn't glued to the plastic tape and the mold will pull right off. If it works, we can test fit it to the box, cut / trim until it fits. Then we'll see about the velvet getting molded and glued to the foam with excess to go up the walls and lap over.

Next up, more sanding on the box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:51 am

The tray needs to cure for forty eight hours, so it won't be ready to mess with until Friday morning. But, I did give the knife some final attention. It got a second coat of stain, then two coats of hand rubbed and buffed beeswax. it is DONE. I am pretty happy although there were lessons learned. Now I'll concentrate on the box and trying to get it to the finish line. :)

128 its done.jpg

The knife is laying on the liner for the box, though Miss T will iron it for me. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:02 am

Turned out awesome Jim...I knew it would!🙂
Beautiful!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:40 am

Wow, fantastic work on both the knife and the box. The mahogany trim piece is incredible. What a difference just a little contrast makes.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:01 am

Really like that knife and I hope the Doc does to.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:21 pm

A drive down to Jantz in Davis, and I picked up the order I have been holding while waiting for the special vise to hold the knife blanks for drilling or inlays. It came in yesterday and they called this morning. It's about an hour down and back. Total out the door? Around $260. But, I refilled the stock for the stuff I needed, and the vise was $110 of that. A one time purchase. I also added a jewelers 5" saw and two packages of blades. The cool thing about the saw is the adjustable width of the span. Break a blade, you can use both broken pieces... I'll post pics of the saw and the vise tomorrow. The rest were just stock, the Nickel Silver bar for the next knife, brass and nickel rods and the like.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:14 pm

Here are the VISE and the Jeweler's Saw... note the ability of the Jewelers saw's jaws to adjust to accept various width blades.
The vise, adjusts up and down, width, and then contours to the knife.

knifemakers contour vise.jpg
jewelers saw.jpg
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:09 am

Wow, that vise in an engineering marvel.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:37 am

I agree, I was surprised it wasn't much more expensive. It's actually made for engravers.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:19 pm

I have been trying to decide how to proceed on the box. My way of working thru the problems is to work on other things. I had asked Tina to pick up a package of disposable scalpels next time she was out. I had sharpened the one I have been using for the last 18 months within an inch of it's life. There are a LOT of uses for them in the woodworking, leather work and all thru the shop. She came back with a "Castration Kit" from Tractor Supply. Just the name made me pucker up. It was a high quality scalpel and ten pack of replacement blades. No blade cover as they expect you to remove and dispose of the blade after every use. :evil:

Project to work on ... so I made a Scalpel sheath to cover the blade....

Then I was back at it, still no solution to the hinge issue. But, I spent an hour hand sanding the top at 240 grit to remove the scratches ... Looks good, a swipe with the mineral oil says it's okay to move up to 325 for that glassy finish.

129 240 grit scratch removal.jpg
1 x