Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sharpening a cleaver...

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Sharpening a cleaver...

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:51 pm

So i boufht a fine old meat cleavervfrom a gent in south georgia. Its not like nicked or dull, i just wondered what is the proper type of an edge to have such a tool. Would you get it razor sharp like a knife or keep a slightly "fatter" edge so it wouldnt be so pron to curl on ya when you thump down on a bone....
Just trying to learn......
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: Sharpening a cleaver...

Post by clovishound » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:57 pm

I think it probably depends on what you intend to do with it. From what I read, I don't actually own a cleaver, if you are going to use it on bone, sharpen it at more like 40 - 45 degrees. If you are going to use it as an all around tool, 20 - 25 degrees would be more appropriate. This parallels what I see with woodworking tools. A shallower angle cuts through wood easier. If you are going to be using the chisel or plane on wood with lots of hard knots, a steeper sharpening angle is called for. Of course the type of steel it is made from makes a difference as well.

No matter the angle, I would sharpen it as sharp as is practical for you. I can get my knives extremely sharp with just a couple diamond hones, however, if I take it to the hard Arkansas stone, and then a strop, it will keep it's edge longer. No matter what sharpening medium you use, moving up the grits to something extremely fine makes a big difference IMO.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:13 pm

I have the WorkSharp sanding belt tool and use a 40 degree angle on all my kitchen cleavers except the cheese cleaver, which gets a 50 degree bevel. It makes them pretty razor like but tough enough for getting through bone and cartelidge.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:43 pm

Thanks for the great info guys!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:18 pm

clovishound wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:57 pm
if you are going to use it on bone, sharpen it at more like 40 - 45 degrees. If you are going to use it as an all around tool, 20 - 25 degrees would be more appropriate.
agree on how you plan to use it to be a big part of the decision ..... no chopping bones for ours, well at least so far .... my best guess is ours is around 20 .... I hand sharpen using a series of sharpening stones so I have no way of knowing the exact angle .... like all of the blades i use, it can shave the hair on your arm without pulling
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:38 pm

clovishound wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:57 pm
I think it probably depends on what you intend to do with it. From what I read, I don't actually own a cleaver, if you are going to use it on bone, sharpen it at more like 40 - 45 degrees. If you are going to use it as an all around tool, 20 - 25 degrees would be more appropriate. This parallels what I see with woodworking tools. A shallower angle cuts through wood easier. If you are going to be using the chisel or plane on wood with lots of hard knots, a steeper sharpening angle is called for. Of course the type of steel it is made from makes a difference as well.

No matter the angle, I would sharpen it as sharp as is practical for you. I can get my knives extremely sharp with just a couple diamond hones, however, if I take it to the hard Arkansas stone, and then a strop, it will keep it's edge longer. No matter what sharpening medium you use, moving up the grits to something extremely fine makes a big difference IMO.
The reason a very fine/polished edge lasts longer is due to both the crystalline structure of the steel, and the grit you use. If you put a edge under a microscope after sharpening to say a medium grit you'll see what looks like a uneven sawtooth pattern ^^^^^^^^^^ . What happens when you use it is the points being fragile will break off - hence dulling. Not usually visible to the naked eye. The finer the grit up to where the crystalline structure prohibits any further sharpness will give the sharpest and longest lasting edge. Of course the angle is also a factor as mentioned. Most common stainless has the largest crystals and will never sharpen or hold an edge like a better steel. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:37 pm

It's hard to beat plain old high carbon steel.

You have to take care of it to keep it from rusting, but it sharpens easier, stays sharp longer and sharpens to a finer edge than most stainless steels. Some of the more modern high end SS is supposed to give O1 a run for it's money. I would like to get a decent HCS knife to compare to my VG10 knife.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:08 pm

Absolute best way to sharpen an axe or clever is with a belt sander with 80-100 grit belt. Make sure belt rotation is from back to edge. This method leaves a beautiful smooth sharp edge.............Works on lawnmower blades too.
0 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:09 am

I use my Tormek T7.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:17 am

I have had these knives for about six months and they are still as sharp as day one. I’m amazed at how easy they make cutting. I’m hoping I don’t have to sharpen them for a long time as I don’t think I have the talent to take them back to factory sharp.

The cleaver is about 45 degrees at the heel and 35 degrees at the tip.

https://www.amazon.com/Cangshan-1020885 ... 60747b8daf

Edit: my set doesn’t include a true cleaver and I just ordered this vegetable and meat cleaver set.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BF74VG ... prod_image
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater