Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

More Leather Practice

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

More Leather Practice

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Before I start on the sheath for my Tanto to match the Cocobolo grips for the match 45 or the holster for the Single Action, I wanted to get in a bit more practice. I use scraps that the Tandy Leather in Richmond gave me each time I bought tools or supplies over $100. A bag of leather scraps to practice on is priceless so you don't waste the leather you have to pay for. Even a small wallet sized piece allows you to practice borders or the carving of a Leaf or Skull.

I decided on a bull skull with barbed wire border for either the knife sheath, the holster, or both. Practice was important. You can see that getting the barbed wire to line up is not as easy as you might think. The skull will need a LOT of practice. The guys in the videos make it look Really Easy. ;)

01.jpg

Next I just worked on the various border patterns. Practice might not make me perfect... but it WILL eventually improve the looks of my borders, from Hack to not drawing the eye to my mistakes. :lol:

02.jpg

Next up, to break the "Bore" dom I tried another Maple and Acorn pattern. First you transfer the pattern and carve it into the leather.

03.jpg

Then you do your tooling and dye it. I used yellow, red, and brown dyes. Not real good at it yet, but I gave 'er a shot. Then set it aside to dry overnight.

04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: More Leather Practice

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:13 pm

This morning, the piece had dried and the leaves actually looked pretty good. I got everything set up, and ready to antique.

05.jpg

I used to try and apply antique with a rag, but discovered the gloved finger gave me better control. I rub it into each section and cover the entire piece. Then let it sit for a while. I usually go fifteen or twenty minutes, but you can go longer.

06.jpg

After rubbing off the excess, I dampen a cloth and wipe lightly over the higher areas where I want more color to show. If this wasn't practice, I might reapply antique to some of the areas that needed it. I haven't gotten this all down pat yet, but you get the idea. Allow the piece to dry fully then apply the finish coat. Dry, and another finish coat.

07.jpg

Not too bad. If this was the top of a box, a cover for a book or whatever... I would have taken much more care in the layout, and all the cuts and accent. Of course, the leather used wouldn't be missing a corner. :roll: Far from perfect, but it's showing some improvement, considering I had to stop for a year. Watch more videos, more practice pieces. The Leaf and Acorns were popular on Gunbelts. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:13 pm

Man that is some nice stuff, well done.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:32 pm

Thanks RR. I watch these videos of the other leather workers, and the effortlessly carve, texture, stain and finish and the pieces come alive. Then I remember... Like athletes, they have been at it for years...

They are artists, I might never reach their level, but things WILL improve over time. :D It's something I can do at my pace, and sitting in my wheelchair. ;)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:37 pm

Heading to OKC tomorrow to a VA appointment. While there, I'll drive into downtown and visit Tandy Leather for additional tools and supplies. My list, including a big side of leather, looks like about $250. But that used to be the cost to get out of bass pro. :D Should supply me thru the summer and into winter with consumables, and the tools, of course, are a one time purchase. When I'm gone... One of the kids can use all of them. 8-)
0 x

bikeridertim
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bikeridertim » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:48 am

WOW!! Very nice looking. Looks like you have more experience than you give yourself credit for!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:45 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:37 pm
I'll drive into downtown and visit Tandy Leather for additional tools and supplies. My list, including a big side of leather, looks like about $250. Should supply me thru the summer and into winter with consumables, and the tools, of course, are a one time purchase.

$265 :? But I got a very nice side of leather, and opted for the 32 ounce bottles of leather finishes. Two types, both high sheen and soft luster. Got paints for girlie designs, and a number of other consumables. I added a dozen or so additional stamps plus a few other tools, plus advice from a veteran leather worker. (Twenty plus years with Tandy.). plus an offer for free classes anytime I'm up in OKC. :)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:04 pm

Got back from therapy today and got out in the shop to work before lunch, carved another leaf. After lunch, I went back out and did a bit more tooling. The key is to practice, practice, practice. Kind of like when I started tying flies. ;) I realized I need better lighting on the leather bench. I think Miss T is going to check Hobby Lobby tomorrow for an LED hobby light to go right over the bench.... too much shadow... and old eyes. :evil:

There are some new techniques I have been working on, the lip along the leaf edge for one...
Still don't have it just right, and of course this leaf doesn't have stain or antique applied, but it's coming along.
I'll post the progress on this, and the next attempt if folks want to see it.

08.jpg

I'll still be practicing borders, skulls, and the rest. Eventually, I'll make that sheath for my Tanto with the Cocobolo scales. 8-)
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:01 am

Please keep posting your progress, it’s fun to come along. The 3D effect you are able to stamp into the leather is wonderful.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:23 am

Awesome, just awesome! Keep up the good work and practice.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member