Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Bayonet Collection

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Bayonet Collection

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:18 am

I have several bayonets in my collection, including of course, the M16 bayonet to fit my M4. ;) What Marine wouldn't have one? 8-)
The Jewel of my collection came as a gift from a friend I had done a number of favors for, not expecting anything in return. He was an older gentleman, with a number of medical problems and needed help. So, I helped. I wasn't gimpy then, and could. He called one day and asked if I could stop by, he had found something in a yard sale for me...

He gave me this:

Spencer Naval Carbine Bayonet.jpg

He said he saw it as the woman laid it on the blanket, asked her how much. She said, "Twenty Bucks." He told her he had Thirteen bucks in cash or could write her a check. "Thirteen it is."

I did some research and found this information.

One of 700 Navy Spencer*s ordered with sword bayonets. This one is #150, which is stamped into the butt end of the hilt. It is marked Collins & Co. Hartford Conn. and dated 1861 on the other side. The hilt is Excellent. The blade is mostly bright with some gray areas. The leather scabbard is excellent but the drag is missing. A full article on The Spencer Navy Rifle by Rollin Davis can be found in Gun Report, Aug 1974. See also US Sword Bayonets 1847-1865 by Rollin Davis, Jr., MD., BSME

The Collins and Company Spencer Bayonets at the time were selling for about $600. I offered the Bayonet back to him. "It was a gift. If I bought a lotto ticket and gave it to you and it won, I wouldn't ask for it back. Besides, all your help has been priceless. Enjoy." He laughed at me later, because HE knew I wouldn't sell it.

I checked recently, these things are going for upwards of $1,000; and sell quickly. Those in the low numbers especially. Mine IS in the low numbers. I can't remember now what the Serial Number is, but it's in the lower half of the 700. I'd check, but the safe it's in is in the room where Miss T is sleeping. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 pm

Since it's the next afternoon, I remembered to pull the "saber bayonet" out and recheck. Yup, 1861, Collins and Co. Hartford Conn. Serial number, clearly stamped on the hilt? Yup: "99"

Sadly, I would guess at the condition as "Fair" maybe even "Good."
The very tip is broken, common in those that had seen use. There is patina on the blade, I'm told this is actually desired, rather than a highly polished blade. The latch is frozen, but not damaged. I have not attempted restoration.

A sword collector had two words to say in regards to that:

"Thank GOD!"
:D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:27 pm

What I would like to find a triangular bayonet from the Revolutionary War. I first heard about it from the Netflix series? Washington's Spies. The British Leutinent(sp) from India made it clear to the main spy of it's pecuilar qualities. My spelling today is just not there. That bayonet may be all just "Hollywood".
Just my thoughts.

Muddy Waters 67
0 x