Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Trio of New Knives

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A Trio of New Knives

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:41 am

As promised, I am starting a new knife build. This time, due to the ease of multiple builds, I will be building three at once. This way, the setups are not wasted. When I cut, I cut three. When I epoxy, I epoxy three. When I use the belt sander, I use the 60 grit on all three, switch over to 80, three, 120, three. Etc. I got started this afternoon, and have laid out a pair of drop points, one with cocobolo scales, and one with lacewood. Then another Tanto with dark, rich, heavily figured cocobolo.

If anyone is interested in taking the trip again, I will take the time to take the pictures and post the ride. If not, I won't take the extra time and effort. Let me know. I'll take pics of the layout waiting in the shop in the morning. Just in case. :)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: A Trio of New Knives

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:33 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:41 am
If anyone is interested in taking the trip again, I will take the time to take the pictures and post the ride.
I look forward to it. Your works-in-progress threads are always interesting. Thanks for sharing them.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 am

as do I
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am

Put me in on that. Are you making the entire knife or just the handles
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:43 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:23 am
Put me in on that. Are you making the entire knife or just the handles
I just do the scales, I use blade kits from Woodcraft for now. I don't have the furnace or anvil, or shoulder power to make my own blades, though I would like to. :?
Passes the time and is a use for the small pieces of leftover hardwood that I would otherwise inlay in box tops and the like. :)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:45 am

Here are the pics from last night's prep work. Sorry, my phone was dead last night, so I had to wait until this morning to take the shots. The Lacewood scales I cut before I left VA and they got packed up when we put the farm on the market. Cheating I know, but I think they are going to turn out great. The other two are going to rock as well. I hope.

Here is the first of the two drop points, with the Lacewood standing tall beside them. This will be an extra, not spoken for yet. I will make these things and have them in my collection. I'll find a friend or family member to give them to or a charity needing an auction item. :D If you look closely at this picture, you may be able to see the curve at the front of the blank where I'll round off the front edge of the scales rather than follow the lines of the design. An aesthetic choice on my part.

01 lacewood drop point.jpg

Next up would be the other drop point for my Daughter. She has been using the smaller knife I made her years ago, it's a part of her morning routine to put it on the belt on her jeans. It has seen everyday use. She asked if I would make her a slightly larger knife for Christmas this year to use for actual skinning duty, and chose this blank, then went thru the wood in the "scales" drawer and chose the material... I chose this SIDE of the 3 inch wide piece she had chosen and will make sure the flames point in the same direction on both sides of the knife. :yes:

02 daughters scales.jpg

Last up, MY Tanto to go with the Cocobolo grips on my Colt. I bookmatched the piece I had chosen and was really happy with the center of the chunk I had cut out. I will of course select the highly figured edges for the scales. Hopefully this turns out as nice as I think it will. No matter, these three should fill my next two weeks. :laugh: Let's party.

03 my Tanto.jpg

We'll all learn something together.

Watching late night YouTube, I saw a piece on Kingman Turquoise. I sent them an email asking for prices. I might try and buy a couple pieces of Real, nice quality Turquoise. If that happens, I'll actually try to make a knife with Turquoise inlaid in the scales. How bout them apples. All I can do is fail, learn, and start over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:51 am

This is the daughter's old knife... it was the first knife I made, when she asked if I could.

skinner.jpg

She sent it back and asked me to make a sheath. I told her that I didn't know how. "You Tube." she said.

2.jpg

She asked for the flag, and told me to find the design and carve it. ;) The things we do for the kids.
Of course when she sent the knife back, the finish was completely gone, and the thing was in dire need of sharpening.
When I packed it up and shipped it back, I told her:
"By the way, while I had it, I refinished the scales and gave 'er a good sharpening."
"Of course you did, I had no doubt."
;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 am

This was my very first attempt at leather work. She still uses the sheath and the knife. Not bad for an old guy.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:08 am

I really like the Tanto
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm on board for another round of knife making!!

Muddy Waters 67
0 x