Woodcraft Tanto Kit

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Woodcraft Tanto Kit

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:29 pm

SCORE!

When we would go to the polaris dealer, we would see this granite counter top dealer from the interstate. They appeared to have a large granite scrap pile out back. I have been meaning to stop by and ask about buying an offcut for use in tooling the leather. Buying from leather hobby shop you pay a premium. Today, we located the business and stopped in. The office manager smiled when I explained what I wanted, and said she wouldn't sell me anything from the scrap pile, but if I could wait a bit, she would help me find something there that would work, and give it to me. Big Grin

We waited about half an hour, she sent us off with four pieces for my shop, and a piece for Tina to use to make butter on in the Kitchen. Yes I would have happily paid, but she said they were just glad to see the scraps find a home.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Woodcraft Tanto Kit

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:03 am

I had some time before I could do anymore work in the knives and I have been meaning to make something for the leather working bench. I used extra stuff around the shop and made this badly needed item. Had to clamp it up to allow the glue to set. What is it?

60 what is that.jpg

On one side of the block of wood you will find 220 sandpaper.

61 220.jpg

On the other side you will find the smooth side out of a strip of leather.

62 strope.jpg

combined with polishing compound, this gives you a strope.

This will allow me to polish the edges of the various cutting and carving tools, including the swivel knives, which cut and turn a LOT smoother when they are polished and sharp. They tend to drag when they are dull.

32 swivel knives.jpg

I need to trim the edges of the leather and the sandpaper. When the sandpaper gets worn, I'll glue another piece on the top of the old. When the leather is worn out, I'll make a new sharpening still and toss this one. LOL. It's all scraps anyway.

:|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.