Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Woodcraft Tanto Kit

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Woodcraft Tanto Kit

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:29 pm

If the rest of those scales end up looking like the rounded end, it's gonna be beautiful!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 pm

After two hours, I prep the alternate side and test fit the other scale. Then I put the epoxy in place and fit the off side scale, check and recheck, making dead sure the rolled edges are aligned. Then full coverage. Then set the clamps. I cut the scales oversized, planning to sand them down to fit during shaping and finishing. I tried to cut them to size during the initial cuts on the first two knives I made. :roll: Not a good plan for me, anyway. Fit the scales, clamp, and leave overnight so the epoxy gets fully set.

09 both sets.jpg

Here is a peek at the shop. Note the bandsaw in the left foreground. The shopvac in the left background, and the knife blank in the clamps on the bench to set up overnight in the center background. Yeah, the shop is a bit messy. I clean the shop after every project is complete, but PICK up after each stage, especially the floor and trash to avoid falls.

How about you guys?

10 shop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Was out this morning, after the epoxy set up overnight. Before anything else, I put the knife on the drill press and using the holes in the first scale as a guide, I drilled thru the new side, with a backing on the drill press table so there was no breakout. Then I was able to use the 1x30 belt sander to begin shaping the scales. Coming along. I will work up thru the grades of belts to get where I want to be. Big difference.

11 starting to take shape.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:03 pm

Very nice, OBM. I do pick up the floor and sweep it following a days' work. I try to pick up my more valuable tools and other fine precision tools. Stuff that I know that I am going to use next is laid out neatly in the areas they will be needed. After the project is done, I tend to leave the bigger tools in position. My wife is truly a OCD and calls me lazy sometimes.
Liking those scales!!

Muddy Waters 67
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:14 pm

I spent a couple hours in the shop today shaping and polishing the scales on the knife. I had originally started with 80 grit, worked up thru 100, 120, 240, and 400. It is looking a lot better and is near the final shape. There are some spots that need just a wee bit more attention and I'll probably hit it with 800 for a final polish before stain and wax. Then this one will be set aside and I'll start on the medium and small skinners. The medium is for my daughter and she picked out a beautiful piece of Cocobola for hers. I may use curly cherry or lacewood for the small skinner. Then I'll design and build the leather work area and make three sheaths. I am really rusty on the carving, so that will take some practice. I'll have something to keep me busy thru the spring. :)

There are several granite counter top places around, I'm hoping they can sell me a nice scrap around 18x24 or 24x36 for a reasonable price to make the carving / stamping benchtop.
I have a couple designs in mind.

I am hoping this looks as good when the stain highlights the grain. It should POP!

12 getting there.jpg

I want to address the shape of the butt section, and polish the metal showing between the scales just a tad more.

13 other side.jpg

I still need to SET the screws. I have special bits for that, but it's still a pucker factor moment.
So tomorrow, a bit more shaping and polishing, and pucker factor when I set the screws, or decide to go with Brass Rivets. 8-)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:16 pm

Safety Note:

Notice that throughout this entire process I have left the plastic sleeve on the blade that comes on it from Woodcraft. If the sleeve had begun to slip and slide (As some do) I would have used painter's tape to secure it firmly in place. Since you work the scales by HOLDING the BLADE, it's a VERY smart move to cover the dang thing. They are pretty dang sharp right out of the package.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Out in the shop this morning before lunch and Put on some Randy Travis... Best of. With good country in the background, I was ready to tackle the pucker factor. First, I pulled out the special bits and tested the three I had to determine the correct ones. Found the one for the center two holes and Got set up. I used the ACTUAL screw head to check the depth of the cut as I carefully made each pass. You can take more off, but you can't put it back. ;) Well, you can... sort of, but it's a PITA. :roll:

14 Countersink.jpg

Four careful passes, each checked, each made in four or five steps. I was happy.

15 ready for hardware.jpg

Those two center holes are ready for the cross bolts that will insure the scales stay tight and help the epoxy hold. (Not that it needs help.)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:05 pm

After checking and testing, I was not happy with the forward two screws. They were way too short. I could do several things here. I would remove a LOT of wood, but I was happy with the fit of the scales. I have big hands and I liked the way the knife filled my hand. I could countersink the holes deep and bury the screws, then fill the holes. Or... I could put a plug in the center to help stop side to side movement, then fill the outside edges.

16 first idea.jpg

I cut the plugs above from Shish-ka-bob skewers the wife was going to toss. I have found a LOT of uses for them in the shop. But, I wasn't happy with the prospect, and I would be shaping the short cocobola plugs from scrap anyway. I tossed the shish plug and made two long plugs from scraps cut during the initial cutting of the scales. I always keep them around til the job is done.
;)

17 scraps.jpg

Using a drill index card, I shaped the scraps on the benchtop sander, at 5/32 of an inch. I basically made a pair of cocobola dowels and filled the holes.
18 shaping.jpg

Once the glue set up I trimmed the dowels flush and sanded the repair smooth. If you weren't told you might not notice.

19 plugged.jpg
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Next I made a final pass over the knife, sanding and then wiping it clean. I then chose Watco Oil Medium Walnut Stain, tested it on a piece of scrap.. (Always Save Some) ... and then gave the knife two coats. BOOM... that grain popped. :shock: :P I love this part of the project.

20 stained.jpg

I clamped that knife in the bench to soak up the oil, and went into the kitchen and grabbed a kitchen favorite. A Woodcraft Damascus Kitchen knife I had made the wife from a kit about five or six years ago. This thing is HER go to knife in the kitchen and shows it. She uses it for nearly everything, and five years later, a couple swipes on the steel and it's still razor sharp. But, as you can see, sticking it in the dishwasher had really abused the Curly Cherry scales.

21 kitchen favorite.jpg

I spent about an hour resurfacing the scales, then hit them with a couple coatings of Watco Oil Natural and then clamped that one on the vise at the other end of my bench to soak up the oil.

22 stained.jpg

Tomorrow, both the knives will get beeswax coating and buffed out, at least three coats. Then on to those next two knife kits.
:P
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:13 pm

What? Sure, after waxing I will put the hardware in the center of the handle on the Tanto...
I won't forget, and I'll post pics of both knives after waxing. In a couple weeks, SHEATHS.
1 x