Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Gift From a Neighbor

Any and all knives or other edged things. Special preference for BUCK knives
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A Gift From a Neighbor

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:22 am

When we got here and the few neighbors came around introducing themselves, we were open and friendly. A couple went out of their way to be welcoming.

One in particular was quick to introduce us to the Oklahoma way. He found out that I was a shooter, and former Firearms Instructor/Competitor, and told me that he had a nice range on the property across the road from me and I was welcome to use it anytime, but... :cry: ... his tractor had died a couple years before and he would have to get over there with his son and weed eat the range first because they had sadly let it fall into disrepair... and become overgrown as the training he used to do had fallen off and the local Sheriff's Department had finally built their own range.

I told him that Tina and I would take OUR tractor over and bush hog the range for him if he showed me where it was and what he wanted done. A couple weeks later he stopped by, and we rode down in the Ranger and shortly afterwards, I made good on my promise. Nice layout, with a high berm, but I don't like to shoot on someone else's range if they aren't around, and with the ammo shortages, most folks aren't shooting much. :) But, four or five years of growth was cleaned up.

He stops by for a cup of coffee, to chat, and to share anecdotes now and then, and mentioned that his department was allowing them to move to Semi-autos of their choice, as long as they were 9mm/40 caliber. Of course, they had to buy their own guns/ammo and duty gear. I told him to stop by in a couple days, before buying duty gear, I might be able to help him out. Sure enough, I found the box I thought I knew I had stashed... and was able to set him up with a complete set of Safariland duty gear, including trouser belt, duty belt, keepers, holster, flashlight keeper, cuff case, and the works. All brand new. I had run the transition team for my department's swap years ago and various companies had sent me Test and Evaluation Gear to try for the various guns we were considering. When I tried to return it after the light use, or the unused gear, they told me to keep it. I issued what I could and used some as prizes in small matches I held at the range for training. I still had some left. I had a bit left when I retired. :D I donate some to departments that need it.

We were talking knives a few weeks ago, and he mentioned finding a WW1 knife more than 50 years ago that the American Military had carried, called the Plumb. I looked it up and it was an interesting thing, one I had never heard of. He stopped by a couple days ago to show me a collection of knives HE had made over the last fifty years. Skinning knives, Daily Carry, a beautiful Bowie from a File.... and the last knife from the bag was the Plumb, made in Philly in the early 1900s, 1917 - 1918. When it left, packing up his treasures, he left the Plumb on the table.

"It belongs in the collection of a Marine." He said, "And, it's a way to thank you for all you guys have done."

The Plumb Bolo Machete Fighting Knife:
Was actually well liked by the American Military, as both a Machete, and a fighting knife. The Plumb Company made nearly 500,000 during the war. They were issued with a wooden, leather covered scabbard.

bolo machete.jpg

The model markings:

us mod 1917.jpg

Trademark:

philia 1918.jpg

I'll do some more reasearch, but I appreciate the donation. It will go in my display case with the civil war bayonet another friend gave me years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A Gift From a Neighbor

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:59 am

Funny, we have tried to follow the advice of my Grandfather, and my Father. You don't do things for credit, or for what you can get, but because it's the right thing to do. In the long run, it comes back.

Of course this didn't apply to the job. My grandfather's advice there? Do the best job you can every day. Be a leader, even if you aren't in charge. Just set an example by your conduct and performance. Never give those above you cause to doubt your worth. It will pay off in the end.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Good advice Marine and I also lived by what you stated. My Grandfather told me a man is only as good as his word. That advice carried me thru life.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:17 pm

What I told my young Marines and the young officers in my academy classes was that Honor and Integrity were a given, but once lost were hard to re-establish. You can't just walk into Walmart and pick up a gallon jug of one and five pound bag of another. Tell the truth, follow the rules, and if they tell you the CO or the Boss wants to see you...
... You aren't worried. You have nothing to hide.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Once I find the time to put my leather working bench together, I might see about making a sheath.... Just for fun. 8-)
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:17 pm

its a blade I've never heard of .... thanks for the info ....
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:17 pm
its a blade I've never heard of .... thanks for the info ....
I hadn't heard of it before my friend told me about it. It reminds me of that knife carried by the Gurkhas in India... If memory serves. Khukuri or something like that.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 pm

it kind of reminds me of a Philippine bolo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Marine, your neighbor returned the solid you did him.
That knife it a keeper. I have seen them in articles of WWI. I visited the WWI museum in Kansas City. I saw one. It's special. Do your research and make a faithful sheath.
The knife is similar to the Gurka Kukri and the WWII smachette. It was both knife and machette and neither. If I am not mistaken, Plumb also made axes.

You and I were raised where you do for neighbors like you would for family. Take care of other folk when you can. Don't ask for anything, just do it if you can if they need it. You may need it next time. We both have done it plenty of times with no reciprocation. None needed or expected.

That Plumb is an exceptional reward, keep researching. You will be impressed.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:56 pm

Great story, and a great testament to all the things already mentioned above. Good for you, Jim, for taking what you've learned in life and carried it halfway across the country and put it to work in a brand new setting, with people you've never met before, at an age where many just don't bother any more.

Look forward to your ongoing updates on The Plumb!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357