Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Knife Advise

Post by dave77 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:06 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:41 pm
dave77 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:29 pm
Worksharp has a culinary knife sharpener that splits the difference and sharpens to a 17 degree edge. Also has a upgrade kit that allows for 15 and 20 degrees and has an assortment of different grit belts. I have a older Worksharp for my outdoor and pocket knifes which I really like but am tempted to get one of these for my Japanese 15 degree blades.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sha ... sharpener/

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/abr ... grade-kit/
Thanks Dave!
Now Ya got me thinking twice about which way I was leaning.🤔
Was reading some more reviews and Chef’s Choice Trizor XV has a lot of good reviews and is comparable in price to the Worksharp. It's a 15 degree sharpener and is capable of changing a 20 degree blade to a 15 degree. I'd have to do some more research before deciding what to get.

https://chefschoice.com/products/chefsc ... t-model-16

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/k ... sharpeners
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:45 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm
I have a Chef's Choice 110 diamond sharpener. It has sharpened and honed my knives for several decades. Love it.

when asked for a recommendation for a blade sharpener, I have to remind myself that the person who will be using it has to be given strong consideration .... my wife literally cannot use the stones and strap that I use .... she simply doesn't have any experience or inclination to do so .... one like CT shows above is one she and learn to use easily and quickly .... in addition she doesn't need and probably doesn't want a shaving edge to do most task in a kitchen
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:25 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:30 pm
You do know that not all kitchen knives should have a bevel on both sides, right? Some knives should only have a bevel on one side and flat on the other depending on what it's used for and whether you're right or left handed. :)
Yes Gunny, we are very big fans of Sushi and occasionally make it ourselves. That is one case when the single bevel comes to play.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:45 am

I have no experience with this sharpener. I use diamond stones, and arkansas stones along with a strop to sharpen. I did notice that this company has a model that is designed for asian knives and sharpens to 15 degrees.

https://pleasanthillgrain.com/chefschoi ... efs-choice

BTW it's out of stock right now.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Tormek makes several sharpeners, I have a T7, now replaced by the T8. If you go to www.advancedmachinery.com you can put together a package that meets your needs.
1 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am

I do most of the cooking so I have to have sharp blades, I have a Lansky type kit, flat stones, "V" sharpeners and other types. I bought a Workshop Ken Onion edition sharpener, it will adjust from 15 to 30 degrees so you can sharpen any blade. I sharpen Japanese, German, American and Chinese steels on this machine. I have sharpened kitchen, hunting, pocket, filet knives, cleavers, axes even my lawnmower blade. With a little practice I'm able to get a razor edge on all my knives. I also bought leather stropping belts with compound. My set up really does a nice job.
0 x
I love my country but I fear my government

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:59 am

Good info, however, ended up purchasing the Chefs Choice V-15. Most of the wife's knives are Japanese 15 degree.
Have sharpened three so far and they are now razor sharp. She loves it!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:01 pm

GeoBoy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:25 pm
Tormek makes several sharpeners, I have a T7, now replaced by the T8. If you go to www.advancedmachinery.com you can put together a package that meets your needs.
I have the T8 as well. Can be expensive as I have knife jig, scissors, wood lathe, drill bits, chisels, axe....... all adds up. But it does a great job.
1 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:09 am

I have the T8 as well. Can be expensive as I have knife jig, scissors, wood lathe, drill bits, chisels, axe....... all adds up. But it does a great job.
[/quote]
A little expensive yes, but it is sooo nice to have properly sharpened tools.
1 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9