Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rebuilding our airgun range

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Rebuilding our airgun range

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 pm

Our airgun range for the last few years has been basically an add this and add that kind of thing, just making do with scrap materials on hand to form a backstop. We decided to a total overhaul and rebuild, this week, for the sake of safety and looks.

First we built (or I should say my husband built and I helped) the backstop basic structure. It's angled for the sake of deflecting pellets and made of 2x8 treated lumber, treated lumber being a necessity in our northern climate.

At 30 yards, shooting our most powerful air rifle, pellets will leave a shallow impression in the soft treated pine. It would take many, many years for the damage to to seriously deface the soft pine, but we decided to face it 3/8" plywood which is harder and can be replaced as needed.

And the finished product makes for a target rich environment, my favorite way to shoot airguns, punching paper and, our favorite, shooting steel. Rifles are shot at a measured 30 yards and handguns at 10 to 15 yards. No problem at the shorter distances with the air pistols, since they are lower powered than the rifles.

10 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Rebuilding our airgun range

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm

Sure plenty to shoot at, have fun.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:39 pm

Looks great NCG!
Might have to do something very similar at the cabin! 👍👍
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 pm

That looks great.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:20 pm

That is nice! Looks pretty professional. The yard looks nice also.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:24 pm

Looks like theres a Tennis ball and some golf balls there. I have the same thing coming to my range soon
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 pm

NCG whos animal trap is that there on the right
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:54 pm

That looks great!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 am

Thanks, guys. This virus thing has us a bit squeamish about driving to our club range to shoot the powder burners, since we never know who will show up or or crowded it will be, plus the number of cases in our area is spiking strongly, since this is our tourist season and there's more people in the area. We're both in that risky old folks age group, so we're being cautious and mostly staying home to shoot the air guns.

By the way, if you're not following the air gun scene, air guns are having a huge run on availability of both guns and ammo, every bit as bad as regular guns, since a lot of folks have been staying home to shoot during the pandemic, just like us, and, of course, the pandemic has disrupted production and supply, same as with regular guns. On the other hand, the pandemic has pushed a lot of shooters into discovering or re-discovering the tremendous advantage of being able to shoot air guns at home, even if it's just with that old BB gun.

Al, we got that resettable animal trap from pyramidair, several years back. It'd the Air Venturi Stampede https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Vent ... _Trap/5778 . It's a tricky one to shoot, since those buffalo are built to swivel a bit, meaning you have to have direct hit in the kill zone to put one down. A hit anywhere else just causes the buf to wobble.

All our reactive metal targets are shoot to reset, so we can just shoot from the bench all afternoon long. At 30 yards, shooting offhand, getting a straight run on any of these reactive targets is quite a challenge. Even shooting from a rest at 30 yards, putting all those buffalo targets down 4 in a row is not easy. I'd say 90%of our shooting outdoors with our airguns is shooting steel, these days. Much more fun than shooting paper.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks NCG. Im gonna get one of those. There out of stock now but I will order one for the future.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55