Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Benjamin NP2 review

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Benjamin NP2 review

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 am

Here is a review I posted on another forum, GTA. I hope it's helpful or interesting.

I ordered a Benjamin NP2 after the first ones with issues started hitting the streets. I figured that the next groups would be right. I have to say I'm glad I waited. I ordered from Pyramid Air and noticed the expected delivery time kept getting pushed back a few different times. I again figured that Crosman was getting everything ironed out for the next group they sent to Pyramid Air. My NP2 arrived a couple weeks ago, near the beginning of August.

As I unboxed it, I was glad I chose the wooden stock. I like wood and metal on guns. The stock reminds me of my Marauder. I examined the scope, knowing it was not AO and wishing it was. I mounted the scope and went to the basement for test firing. It was a nice rifle on my initial impression. The trigger was good, not as good as I expected, but ok. I had no previous experience with the previous NP triggers, so I had nothing to compare it to. I like my Marauder trigger just fine.

Next, I went to my parents farm and shot at distance. I sighted in the gun and put around 125 to 150 pellets through it. I was trying different types of holds and different rests and was not very accurate.

One group happened to be very good. Image It says 21 yards, but after that session, I picked up a laser range finder and found it was 30 yds.

My next session required a re-zero. I was puzzled by this. My shots were all over. I kept trying to re-zero the scope and nothing worked. The scope would not zero and the shots were going everywhere.
I also had shot enough rounds and adjusted the factory trigger to realize I wasn't very happy with it. I went home and ordered a 3.5x10x40 leupold knock off. I had seen a post here and the poster liked his. It had the AO I wanted and the lighted reticle was a bonus. I also ordered a CBR trigger from Gene in South Carolina. The scope arrived first. I watched an artillery hold video by Tom Gaylord and headed off to the farm. I was getting terrific results. I couldn't wait for the new trigger. I almost sent the rifle back because of the scope issue. That, paired with the so so trigger, I was ready to give up. The new trigger arrived today. It was an easy install and made a huge difference. Out to the farm I went. The gun shot very well, but I was affected by heat, humidity, looming rain, and tons of mosquito's. I am looking forward to tuning the trigger to my exact preferences soon. It was a big improvement.

Here are a few photographs and I'll wrap up my thoughts on the NP2.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Over all, I like the NP2. I wanted a .22 that I could hunt with to back up my .22 Marauder. I didn't want to hunt with a springer, as I carry my gun cocked and loaded and I may have it that way for the entire day if it's slow. The nitro piston appealed to me. I am doing most of my testing for accuracy with the Benjamin Discovery assortment pack. I also tried some heavy .22 pellets and got good results with them. I tried a cheap Daisy brand pointed .22 pellet that it did not like at all.

I did not mind the cocking effort of the NP2, but it is not easy. I like the linear look of the stock and trigger guard. It was a bit hard to take at first, but it grew on me.

I paid the extra ten dollars for Pyramid Air to test fire, examine the rifle and attach the chronograph results. Just a bit over 800 as you can see above. You can also see Gene's trigger installed. It has a front, allen wrench adjustment and a rear screw adjustment. My knock off scope needed a rear shim. I chose to used duct tape. Two layers worked fine. A cheap mylon sling from the biggest of box stores rounds out the outfit.

I contacted Pyramid Air and inquired if they wanted me to return the scope so Crosman could look at it. They advised to keep it, as the whole package needed to be returned if there was a problem with the gun. I sent Crosman an email to advise them of the poor scope.

Over all, I can certainly hunt with this rifle. Squirrel season is soon approaching. It will go out with me for sure. I prefer my Marauder to just about any air rifle I've fired. I wanted a Crosman product. I am pleased to know it was at least assembled here. I have visited the service center at the rear of the factor once. It was about 15 years ago. They really were great and cared. I want to give them my business. I wanted this NP2 to be what I now have. It did not arrive that way, but I figured I'd get a new AO scope anyways.

With the trigger (30) and new scope(51) added to the 259 (ten for ten added to the 249), I'm into it for 340. I'd say that's just fine with me for what I have.

I like my NP2 and I think Crosman has put out a good product. I'm glad I decided to keep it.

Respectfully submitted

Dave
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Benjamin NP2 review

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Nice report. So how did the scope problem end? How does the 22 caliber compare to 17? I know you own both.

That is great shooting. I use a modified artillery hold.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:15 pm

Nice looking stock and a great write up. So how many squirrels have you sent to their maker?
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:00 pm

I ended throwing the bad scope out when I began to move. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

I have sent a few tasty birds to their maker, but for some reason they left their breast meat in a delicious wine reduction sauce. Boy it was good.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

brianpa
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brianpa » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Wow that's some great shooting!
0 x
H015-44,H009G