Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Suggest a rifle for markiver54

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Suggest a rifle for markiver54

Post by graywolf » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:11 pm

Congrats on your decision. Looking forward to some range reports.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 am

I'm very excited to get my rifle. Hopefully this week.
Because this was a big decision/expense for me, I want to give it the TLC it deserves when it arrives.
Don't know what the owners manual will tell me, ( assuming it comes with one ), about what I should do if anything before shooting it. I bought a tin of H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66 gr pellets to start with. Should I clean it first? and what method of cleaning? Is there a break-in period? if so, about how many shots? Cleaning intervals?...etc.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:51 am

Yes on the cleaning it first and it will come with a nice owners manual. I dont use any metal brushes in mine. Nylon is ok. I usually just put some cleaner on a patch and run it down the barrel a few times using new patches each time. I use the otis cleaner and there patches are one size fits all by slotted adjustments in the patch. If you have some 243 size patches those would probably work great. I try to get a little tighter fit than what a 22 patch will give you. Breakin period answer is yes. It will take probably 100 rounds before it tends to settle down although the groups I got out of mine right out of the box were nothin to be ashamed of.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:51 am
Yes on the cleaning it first and it will come with a nice owners manual. I dont use any metal brushes in mine. Nylon is ok. I usually just put some cleaner on a patch and run it down the barrel a few times using new patches each time. I use the otis cleaner and there patches are one size fits all by slotted adjustments in the patch. If you have some 243 size patches those would probably work great. I try to get a little tighter fit than what a 22 patch will give you. Breakin period answer is yes. It will take probably 100 rounds before it tends to settle down although the groups I got out of mine right out of the box were nothin to be ashamed of.

Thanks a bunch Al. One more question: When you clean the bore, do you NOT use rods ? What does the Otis cleaner consist of ? Is it a cable or wire or something like that ?
I DO have some .22 cleaning supplies that I've had for years to clean my rifles and pistol, but don't want to damage the bore.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:12 am

Yes the Otis cleaner is a protected cable. If you have any of those slotted patch holders around you could make one. Drill a hole thru the end at the base of the threads then get some fishing line. Guys have done that. But the Otis 22 kit I dont think is that much. This one has a few more items than mine does
https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technology- ... RydWU&th=1
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:25 am

Wow...thanks again Al. I just looked through my cleaning supplies and forgot that I bought a protected cable after I bought my SGC. I guess I'm good to go then. I also found a .22 cal. squeegee that might come in handy. I assume you can clean from the breech without actually cocking the barrel completely.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:26 am

On a new gun, just clean the bore, same as you would on a new 22 rifle, to remove any factory lubricant. Beyond that, you should never have to clean the bore an an HW. A rod is fine, but make sure it is a good rod and be careful.

Then, before every range session, tighten the two action screws on the trigger guard and the one on the bottom of the forend of the stock. (Leave the screws on the barrel hinge alone.) This should be standard procedure for a piston gun before every range session. Don't have to be gorilla tight, just firm. On a new gun as it is breaking in, you may even want to check those screws for tightness during a range session. With a springer and its recoil, those screws can work loose and as they do, accuracy can fall off and you may even get changes in POI. If you get a sudden drop in accuracy or an unexplained change in POI, check those action screws. As the gun settles in with some shooting, the actions screws will not need tightening as often.

On a break barrel with ball detent lockup like the 95, slap the barrel to break it open, then cock the barrel.

Never, ever, dry fire a springer. This can damage the piston and seals. Don't store the gun cocked, though if you forget and do, it's not as hard on the spring as some claim. On the 95's power level, avoid super light for caliber pellets. Stay with medium to heavy for caliber pellets.

On my HWs, it typically takes a few tins of pellets before max accuracy, but this can vary from gun to gun. On a few, I had max accuracy right out of the box.

If you are new to springer shooting, though, you are the biggest factor in accuracy. You might want to go online and review the "artillery hold", which is nothing more than holding the gun lightly and allowing the gun to recoil with a minimum amount of bouncing off your shoulder and hands. Whatever hold you choose, absolute consistency is a must for every shot. Even a slight change in hold or rest can change the dynamics of how the gun recoils and cause a change in POI.

Every HW springer I've owned and shot is easily capable of under an inch five shot groups at 50 yards. Yours should, too, IF you have the skill to shoot a springer and IF the wind is fairly calm. At 50 yards with pellets, it doesn't take much of a breeze to open up groups. At 30 yards, though, I can still manage some very nice groups on a breezy day. That jump from 30 or 35 yards out to 50 is a real challenge, though. Wait for days with no wind for 50 yard work.

Any questions, just holler.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:49 am

There you go Mark. NCG has it all lined out for you. What she says is exactly what I have found with the gun. Those screws in fact will come loose just keep an eye on them. But when you get yours you will smile as those guns are first class quality. Also Airguns of Arizona are first class people. They do stand behind those guns. I had a issue with a scope and they replaced it with no questions.
1 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:06 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:49 am
There you go Mark. NCG has it all lined out for you. What she says is exactly what I have found with the gun. Those screws in fact will come loose just keep an eye on them. But when you get yours you will smile as those guns are first class quality. Also Airguns of Arizona are first class people. They do stand behind those guns. I had a issue with a scope and they replaced it with no questions.
Thanks Al. The scope issue will probably bring up more questions down the road. Will try open sites for a while first.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:10 pm

Thanks a bunch NCG! I'm very lucky to have the resource that this forum provides, ( especially YOUR expertise and Al to get me started with this new rifle. Thank you for the reminder to NEVER dry fire a springer. I DID see that on a You Tube video. I also saw the "artillery hold" explained and demonstrated. So glad because I probably would have had a "death grip" on the stock.🙄😁

I'm really looking forward to receiving it...like a kid at Christmas! I hope I can do the rifle justice.
I'm sure a couple more questions will arise. In the mean time, thank you both VERY much!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry