Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Suggest a rifle for markiver54

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Suggest a rifle for markiver54

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:14 am

Don't forget that you can rotate that rear sight blade to get different size notches in the blade.

Don't get OCD with the cleaning, especially the bore. Once to clean factory lube is fine, but after that, it is very rare for the bore on an air rifle to need a cleaning. Then, too, after you clean the bore, you will need a certain number of fouling shots for accuracy to max out, anyway. In fact, you typically need some fouling shots after you switch pellets to get max accuracy, just like a regular gun. Bottom line is that you risk damaging the bore by cleaning it, not by shooting, and for nothing, because cleaning is only rarely necessary. Leave that bore alone after the initial cleaning.

Keep oil out of the action and the chamber. Modern springers use synthetic seals that need no lubrication and oil in the bore will cause dieseling. In fact, it is normal to get a little dieseling with a new springer as that factory lube burns off. An occasional drop of oil on the barrel hinge is fine and as I mentioned, wiping down the barrel and receiver after a shooting session is good, too, but that's it.

Here's that https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/dot-si ... ht-9-11mm/t
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:53 am

Is Hoppes # 9 safe for initial cleaning? Also, I was looking at a product called " Swab-Its " for pull through cleaning. I want to be sure not to scratch the bore or the crown. All I currently have is the slotted aluminum patch holder.
Sorry, this should probably be in the cleaning thread at this point.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:39 am

Mark, yes, I think you would be safe to you use what you have for this just once initial bore clean. Just be careful with the cleaning rod in the muzzle area. Down the road, though, a quality one piece rod like a Tipton is a good investment. Bore snakes are also a good option.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:51 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:39 am
Mark, yes, I think you would be safe to you use what you have for this just once initial bore clean. Just be careful with the cleaning rod in the muzzle area. Down the road, though, a quality one piece rod like a Tipton is a good investment. Bore snakes are also a good option.
Great, and thanks again. I DO have a Hoppes brand bore snake in .22cal., but it has two small areas of brass bristles. Was just thinking, that might be too aggressive. Was just going to use patches/swabs with a little solvent for initial cleaning, unless that snake is ok.

You're the best NCG! and I'm probably becoming a pest. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Not a pest at all. Glad to help, Mark. Least I can do for a pal.

Myself, I would prefer to use just swabs, but brass bristles aren't goi g to do any damage for a few passes.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:07 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:10 pm
Not a pest at all. Glad to help, Mark. Least I can do for a pal.

Myself, I would prefer to use just swabs, but brass bristles aren't goi g to do any damage for a few passes.
Excellent!
I think I'm good to go for a while now. Going to clean it and maybe take a couple shots later if the rain stops. Your patience is very much appreciated!
I sure hope you're doing well. 😊
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:11 pm

Patiently waiting for a range report.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:09 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:11 pm
Patiently waiting for a range report.
I hear Ya Al. And I have to wait patiently for the right timing to set up a spot, given my tight knit little neighborhood. Randy has seen my limitations. :(
I do hope to get my first shots on paper soon though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry