Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Airsoft Lever Rifle

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: New Airsoft Lever Rifle

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:10 am

That's too bad. I hope you get it rectified and are soon shooting.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:08 am

Is there such a thing as a CO2 converter? Love that you are shooting air lever guns, so don't give up. Worst case is you might have to buy another one with a different propulsion system.

I'm still messing with CO2 a little, but my indoor winter shooting is on hold this year, since our old dog has aged to the point where he doesn't want to spend much tie outdoors the way he used to be able to do. His indoor spot is right in front of my target in the basement, so no shooting when he is in the house, unless I can rig up another place to shoot.

Most of my shooting this winter, then, is sliding the deck door open to take a few shots at our outdoor backstop, basically the same way that Sir Henry does every day.
2 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:55 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:08 am
Is there such a thing as a CO2 converter? Love that you are shooting air lever guns, so don't give up. Worst case is you might have to buy another one with a different propulsion system.

I'm still messing with CO2 a little, but my indoor winter shooting is on hold this year, since our old dog has aged to the point where he doesn't want to spend much tie outdoors the way he used to be able to do. His indoor spot is right in front of my target in the basement, so no shooting when he is in the house, unless I can rig up another place to shoot.

I'm not sure if there actually is such an animal as a Co2 convertor or not. I was basically just thinkin' out loud above, and honestly, kinda kickin' myself for not doing enough homework before deciding what to buy. Was sorta wishing that I'd maybe picked one that ran on Co2 or a spring. No one's fault but my own; there's probably more great info here in this forum than I took the time to read. :oops: I'm patient, and did get a shipping notice that my extender gizzie is on it's way from California. Shouldn't take to long to get here to Oregon, but I've been surprised before. I ordered a part for my dirt bike from CA on ebay once. The USPS sent it right past me to Seattle, and then on to Guam, of all places, before it finally made it here to me. That part had been to more neat exotic places on that 3-week trip than I've been to in the last 20 years!!! :mrgreen:

And I guess, North Country Gal, if it's okay to say, that you're not the only one making "concessions" for an old dog. My latest rescue dog has NEVER liked firearms of any sort. He takes off for parts unkown when we're outside and sees any sort of firearm. Inside, I've pulled my rifle or pistol out to simply look at something, do some work on a gun, or do some laser dryfire practice, and he runs for cover. We had another female rescue dog, a Border Collie/Heeler mix, for 13 yrs. prior to this male, and that dog simply HATED my guts. Loved my wife & daughter, but hated me. Would growl when I just strolled into a room kinda deal, wouldn't mind me when told to go outside to poop & potty, & etc., but minded my wife well. This "newer" old dog likes most everybody equally and behaves really great. So after 13 yrs. with that other dog, I'm willing to make a few concessions for this particular Border Heeler. :D He's the best dog we've ever had. But he does kinda limit my firearm activities sometimes....... I'm hoping he'll be a bit more tolerant with a quieter airsoft firearm. But even the sound of the lever rackin' back and forth scares him, so I'm not expecting much in that department. :roll:

Ohh, I'll be shootin' that rifle soon enough. We've just had an unexpected "break" in our normal cold and wet, and it would've been nice to try to punish some empty spray paint cans during the dry days, I guess. ;) It'll happen........
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:12 pm

Hey, as much as I love shooting, I love dogs more, so I understand. Dogs are with us for such a short time, I'm willing to make some concessions to accommodate them.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:34 am

Our Rottie would go to the PPC matches with me, she even had her own hearing protection. She didn't care where we went as long as she got to go.
The Shepherd would tolerate shooting. The Boxer? Nope... didn't care for the shooting at all. He would lay in the den while I cleaned the guns or reloaded, but if I went out to the range, he was at the door wanting in.... ;)

gordonsville suze.jpg

When Suzie the Rott went along to the PPC matches, and we started to gear up, she would come sit beside the gear boxes and wait for her "ears". She had a packing quilt that was folded and laid between the wife and the girls lawn chairs and would plop down and sleep during relays. Tina spotted for me and Suze waited for me to give her scratches between the various matches. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:49 am

Love it! Wish I could get our Border Collie to wear something like that. She wants no part of shooting. The breed does not like loud noises.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:25 pm

I’m surprised my Little Girl isn’t scared of me shooting. Vacuums on the other hand terrifies her.
F66D84A8-FE7D-4D70-BD64-6FE4A24B8060.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:43 pm

After reading this I was thinking about how my father’s and uncle’s beagles would run to the sound of a shotgun. They knew a rabbit was in the area.
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New Airsoft Lever Rifle (2nd Update)

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:25 pm

Well, more Shucks, Darns, Gee Whizzes, and maybe a Poopers!

Got my little Green Gas Extender gizzie tonight. Filled (sorta) the pressure chamber (where the magazine tube is on a regular rifle. Gas and whatever lube effluvia is mixed in with the gas leaked past the can's nozzle & extender combo in a spray that shot out & got all over me, the rifle, and probably my neighbor's goats. I'm going to make a trip to my local Ace hardware and buy some tiny O-rings to stack on the extender in an effort to slow the escaping spray, unless someone knows of a better idea. Teflon tape didn't work. And after use, the extender falls off, and you have to hunt it down. Glad I ordered 2 of those! :P

Anyway, some amount of gas did make it to the mag tube chamber. So I loaded some airsoft pellets into the gun with the provided speedloader. Not a bad way to load, and you can stuff 20-25 pellets in with this speedoader gizzie. It is a 2-part setup ( the loader a "pusher stick"), and there seems to be no extra spare loaders available. A pusher stick would be easy to duplicate, but the loader, if lost or damaged, wouldn't be easy to engineer up a DIY replacement. Wish they'd make spares available...... :roll:

And then I racked the action to load a round. I had the barrel pointed slightly downwards as I did this; probably at a 45 deg. angle from horizontal or less. And before I could get the rifle barrel up to take aim, the pellet simply dribbled out the end of the muzzle. Hmm. So, I racked another one in, with the barrel still pointed a bit less downward, same result. "Geez Louise, this don't seem right......", I thought. After two or more tries with the same results, I started keeping the barrel level or slightly upwards when I wanted to work the lever to load a pellet. This was actually better, as I could see the pellet get lifted and somehow work it's way into a chamber. But if the target was very low, I still couldn't get a shot off before the pellet would trickle out. Are all airsoft pellet rifles like this? :? I can't imagine that they are.

Anyway, I eventually moved and elevated a target to where the muzzle satyed more or less horizontal, and began knocking over a couple of empty spray paint cans. The trick to be able to shoot this particular rifle, as it is, was to rack a pellet in while the muzzle is pointed upwards, then slowly bring your sights/sight picture into alignment as you let the barrel settle downward, and "semi-hurriedly" squeeze off a shot. With the trigger as it is (seems heavy to me; I haven't checked it with my trigger pull scale yet), this rifle doesn't seem real conducive to good marksmanship practices. The perceived need to "hurry up and shoot before the stinkin' pellet falls out" sorta leads to jerkin' the trigger. Might be different shootin' off a bench or rest, but the purpose of the gun was to be able to shoot off hand, for my wife, my adult nieces, and myself. I'm kinda afraid all the weird little idiosyncracies of this rifle might make it a bit frustrating and not fun to shoot for all of us.

On a trip to the hardware store in Sandy, I happened to ask the manager if they carried BBs and Co2 cartridges. And they do! Personally, I like it when I can drive just a few miles away and buy stuff like that which I need. Not thrilled about ordering stuff like Green Gas and the airsoft pellets because nobody nearby stocks them, and then the wait for the stuff to arrive. I guess I'm patient, but maybe only to a point. Need to work on that.......

Soooo, I now have a Umarex Legends Cowboy rifle coming via Amazon probably by Tuesday. From all the videos about this rifle, it just seems like it will be much easier to deal with than how this AK/Matrix brand 1892 is. I really wish I'd done my homework better before I pulled the trigger on this one from AK. I'm thinkin' & hopin' that the Umarex will be a bit easier to live with. Co2 and ammo is readily available locally, and the cartridges you load the ammo into would seem to end the issues with pellets slow rolling outta the barrel. As long as it ejects and feed the next round, that's should give a better shooting session than this AK is giving me.

Again, if anyone has stuck with me this far, is this typical of airsoft pellet rifles for the pellets to roll outta the barrel when pointed downwards before firing? I know there's no "rim" on airsoft pellets like a regular .30-30 round would have to keep a it in the chamber until you fire. I'm trying to visualize what exactly keeps the pellets in the chamber? Is there even a chamber on airsoft rifles similar to what cartridge firing firearms have? Maybe the issue is all possibly with ME for knot knowing stuff like this...... :?: :oops

Edited to fix a lotta spelling and puctuation mistakes........
Last edited by Mr. Neutron on Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:31 pm

You are having quite the adventure with that rifle! Wish I could help, but no experience at all with air soft.
1 x