Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Premium springer fun: FWB Sport

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Premium springer fun: FWB Sport

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:39 pm

Graywolf, just to let you know, the factory open sights on HW springers such as the HW 30 are about as good as it gets. The rear sight is click adjustable with index marks and the rear sight blade offers you four different blade types. The front sight is a globe sight that comes with various inserts.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:32 pm

graywolf, it seems that you have a winner in the HW30. Although I don't have one, it seems like what I was looking for when I got the one I mentioned that I won't even give away. Remember to get some various pellets and such. Good luck.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:21 pm

I think so too. I knew when NCG suggested it that it would be. As of now, the HW 30 is 1st on my list. Well, actually I don't have a list. I'm enjoying looking at all the airgun sites. Like I said, I had no idea. I'm going to keep looking for a while and if you have any other advice, please let me know. Normally, I would probably go ahead and order HW 30, but I have a few folks asking me to let them know of any ideas to get me for Christmas. Now I can tell them.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:24 pm

We're glad to help. Just ask any questions as they come up.
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Seems like I should have more questions but I can't think of any. Weight, recoil, accuracy, quality, fps, fpe, types, I can't think of anything else. I've been on forums, airgun stores, watching demos and I think I'm still gonna go with your suggestion NCG, the HW30S. I did try comparing the HW50S with it. What's your view on it?

Don
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:53 pm

The HW50 is the slightly bigger brother to the HW30. (I have two 50s.) It's a slightly heavier gun with a slightly heavier feel to it, but the cocking effort is a fairly bigger step in proportion. It's noticeably more than the HW30.

The basic difference is the power level. The 50 gets you the next step up in power, in that 750 fps range. For me, the 50 picks up range wise where the 30 begins to struggle. The 30 is very comfortable out to 30 yards, even with a breeze. If you push it beyond that, you need perfect shooting conditions. The 50, though, extends that comfortable range to 50 yards, even with a slight breeze. If you plan to do some hunting, the 50 is the better all-around choice. Remember, though, that cocking effort takes a pretty good jump over the 30.

For target and plinking under 30 yards, no reason to mess with the 50. Even if you add a whole arsenal of other airguns, I'd still go with a 30. I regard it as essential to my air gun shooting. Will never be without one.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Now I want one!
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:47 pm

HW30S on the way. May get here before Thanksgiving. NCG, is there a particular type ammo they known to shoot better. Want to have everything I need to shoot when it gets here.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:38 pm

The JSB Exact 7.33 grain is the traditional 177 pellet of choice in the HW30, though HWs are not typically pellet fussy and other quality pellets will die as well or even better, but that 7.33 grain weight its a good match for the HW30 power level. All I shoot, now, in my two HW30s.

Just stay with domed pellets for your shooting, unless you have a specific need for the other styles. Domed pellets dominate for long distance shooting, but also do well at any distances. All I use, now, except for some special wad cutter pellets for my competition 10 meter guns, because they were designed for that kind of pellet. For accuracy out there at a distance, domed pellets rule.

The only caution I would advise is to stay with JSBs or H&N or AA or similar quality pellets. Yes, Crosman pellets will certainly work and they are cheaper, but they have a couple issues. One is consistency, from one tin to the next, so accuracy from one tin to the next can be all over the place. The other is that Crosman pellets tend to be harder than other pellets due to some alloys used, so they leave a deposit in the barrels that takes a lot of shooting with other brands of pellets to remove before you get back to best accuracy. The only time I use Crosmans are in some of my vintage Crosmn/Benjamin guns, because they were made to shoot Crosman/Benjamin pellets. All other air guns get the good stuff.
1 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Ok, another big Thank You for all the info. I don't go in Walmart much, but I went today just to look at their ammo. Crosman was pretty much it, but I didn't buy any. I been reading on the forums about the brands you listed, but don't know if any stores around has them. Looks like I better get online and start looking. I can check Academy and BPS this weekend.
1 x