Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting While Traveling

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Shooting While Traveling

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am

Whatever my future holds for me I want to be able to shoot on the road. Currently I know of three places where it is practical or is a designated spot. I posted this in airguns because I think that is what I will be able to shoot in more places. I will also want to shoot rimfire.

That one place in New Mexico where I got off the highway right of way to shoot was not very shooter friendly. I had to cross a barbed wire fence. As we all know crossing a fence with a firearm can be dangerous. If I was shooting airguns I would not have to get off the right of way. Keep in mind that stretch of road doesn’t see much traffic. Maybe a car every ten minutes.

How practical do you think this is?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Shooting While Traveling

Post by Cofisher » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:58 am

I think an air gun will still alarm an ignorant person. It may be difficult, or annoying, to find a suitable site. But, we shall overcome. Have fun.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 am

As an airgun nut, I would, of course, recommend shooting air guns while traveling. You are less likely to have legal issues where you shoot air guns, but given some localities regard air guns as guns and some that don't, there is no guarantee that you won't have those issues. Cofisher is right, too, when he mentions that a gun is a gun to a lot of non-gun people. From experience, be prepared to explain the difference, as I'm sure you already done in some instances.

The biggest advantage of the air guns to me is the safety and noise issue. You won't have to worry about a bullet ricocheting off into the next county with an airgun and assuming you get a reasonably quiet air gun, you won't be drawing a lot of attention to yourself. As far as noise, to get down to air gun level noise with a rimfire rifle, you'd have to go silencer or restrict yourself to only shooting CBs. At 30 yards or less, though, some of my rifles have been decently accurate with CBs.

If you do opt for the CBs, there are some potential safety issues as far as squibs, as I'm sure you know, so we should discuss that a bit.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:06 am

the only shooting we do while traveling is on private property with the owner's permission or at public or private ranges
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:22 pm

Do you use a navigation app when traveling? There are several that have map layers showing private and public lands, this one, in its premium version, has those, as well as a gazillion other informative layers like National Forest and Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM). You can download detailed maps for when you are out of cell coverage, but be aware large ones are very slow and you need a reliable wifi connection to do it easily.

https://www.gaiagps.com/

In addition to safe shooting areas, those public lands are also fine places to boondock, if you can fit your big rig in there. That is often VERY problematic. Do you plan to tow a toad? That would make plinking way easier. Park your motorhome in a central location and drive the backroads in the Jeep or whatever. It needs to be street legal since most areas outlaw a UTV on public roads.

Have you seen this map?

CD6D7052-B040-492A-A56C-1BB1FC4CD40E.jpeg

Obviously, if you want to shoot in public lands, pick a red state.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 pm

When I lived in the west I would always shoot on BLM land. Usually a lot fewer restrictions than National forest land.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:15 pm

One other comment, you can’t just go by the maps. Eastern Oregon, for example, has huge amounts of public land, but they are National Forest land in the mountains, with very limited access that is often blocked by snow for up to five months. The lowlands are cattle ranches and agricultural, and almost universally fenced off and posted No Trespassing.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:02 pm

Once I’m out of the house and on the road I’ll think about what I want to do. I closed at 3:38 pm today. I no longer own this property. Now I can relax and think about my future and not just the next week.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:54 am

Congrats on the closing, that’s got to be a relief for you.

If you get to Eastern Washington look me up, you can either shoot at the rifle club as my guest or we have a couple of state land parcels we shoot on. No access for your motorhome but I’d be happy to pick you up and go “send some”. :D
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Same here if you get to my area I can take you shooting. I like shooting 22 alot.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55