Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gun Rest for Springer Rifles

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Gun Rest for Springer Rifles

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:49 am

I just received my Air Arms Pro Sport the other day and I am trying to determine what type of gun rest to purchase. I was wondering what other people's experiences have been and which type might be the best to get whether bag or some sort of stand.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Gun Rest for Springer Rifles

Post by daytime dave » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm

I have used bags more successfully with springers. Having said that, you need to develop a winning hold with springers and support. I roll a towel to put over the bag and just rest the gun on the back of my flat hand.

Look up the artillery hold if you are not familiar with it. It will help with shooting springers.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:41 pm

There are TONs of YouTubes on shooting springers, and they are very interesting.

From what I've seen and done, you wouldn't want to use a stand, like a Led-Sled.

I think most use towels together with sand bags, and usually rest the gun in their hand, or on their backhand like Dave said above.

In the end, it's whatever works for you, but the Umarex website advises against resting on a hard surface, don't know why......
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:36 am

daytime dave wrote:I have used bags more successfully with springers. Having said that, you need to develop a winning hold with springers and support. I roll a towel to put over the bag and just rest the gun on the back of my flat hand.

Look up the artillery hold if you are not familiar with it. It will help with shooting springers.
I watched a few You Tube videos earlier using the artillery hold search criteria and it appears there are a few acceptable gun rests out there and from what I have seen it appears a rest with front and rear support is highly recommended for initial sighting in and zeroing in of a springer. The reason it is recommended is to make sure the human equation has been eliminated.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:21 pm

dddrees wrote:
daytime dave wrote:I have used bags more successfully with springers. Having said that, you need to develop a winning hold with springers and support. I roll a towel to put over the bag and just rest the gun on the back of my flat hand.

I watched a few You Tube videos earlier using the artillery hold search criteria and it appears there are a few acceptable gun rests out there and from what I have seen it appears a rest with front and rear support is highly recommended for initial sighting in and zeroing in of a springer. The reason it is recommended is to make sure the human equation has been eliminated.
I would not be surprised though if the POI changes when you remove it from the rest and shoot it from the prone, etc.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Henry88 wrote:
dddrees wrote:

I would not be surprised though if the POI changes when you remove it from the rest and shoot it from the prone, etc.
I imagine with a springer that maybe true. I actually went with two towels rolled up together under my hand under the stock on top of my deck rail and fired fairly decently today. I didn't dial in my zero yet but came fairly close and was pretty consistent before it started raining. The closer I got I just tried to make sure I was consistent and decided to give it another go tomorrow and see where I am. I wanted to make sure I could achieve the same results after a good break before going any further.

Overall I was pretty happy where I was since I hadn't even touched anything close to a fire arm for a good 18 years or so.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Hey dddrees,

I have shot several thousands rounds through mine, and it's still a work in progress...........
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Henry88 wrote:Hey dddrees,

I have shot several thousands rounds through mine, and it's still a work in progress...........

That's perfectly fine with me. It's all about having a bit of fun as far as I am considered. I just wanted to see if I could get somewhat close and develop a bit of consistency. I'll just have to revisit tomorrow and go from there.
0 x

Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Congrats on your AA. The fact that you bought this fine masterpiece shows you are a cut above the average Air gun shooter. May I suggest you ask your question at the following website. http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537 Or commonly known as the "Yellow Forum".
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:00 am

That is a great forum Whiskeyshooter. It's also workplace friendly due to the innocuous name. It takes a little getting used to the old style web format, but the wealth of knowledge is first rate, for sure.............
0 x