Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Daisy 717

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Daisy 717

Post by daytime dave » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:59 am

On the last trip to my favorite sports store, I picked up a used Daisy 717. The 717 was the least expensive of a line of single pump pistols that could hold their own with competition guns that cost a whole lot more. All you had to do was your part. I also have a 747 that has a German Lothar Walther barrel. That gun is very accurate and the trigger is very nice. This used gun is accurate and the trigger is almost as nice.

I had cataracts surgery yesterday and as soon as I could, I was down in the basement with this 717, using my new artificial lense to see how I could shoot. Nothing with recoil. During the first few days I would be having focus issues, so when I was focusing ok, away I went.

The gun functions fine for used. Some pelgun oil had been applied after purchase a few months ago and I tried it out then. The results were obviously mixed when you can't see well.

Today, I focused better and adjusted the rear sight. It was not tight, but adjusted all right. I dialed it in and finally, three went in the square I drew. I hadn't seen a "proper" sight picture in many months. I was pleased with the gun and the initial results. The gun is a single pump. If you pump it again, it doesn't add more air to the chamber. It has a cross bolt safety in front of the trigger. I have read that you could send the right hand grips back to Daisy and they would send you a set of left hand grips if you were left handed.
Velocity is supposed to be about 360 fps. Definitely seems about right. Very few crisp holes in the target. I used the same german made wadcutter style pellets for all shots.
I was even able to find a "custom" case for it. A previous Christmas gift had contained a BBQ spatula, sauce brush and sauce. The inside had several velcro tie downs. One was a perfect fit for the trigger guard. The gun and a tin of pellets transport very nicely inside.

They don't make any of the 7xx series anymore. One in good condition is a treat to shoot. Perhaps I'll find a 777 next.

1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Daisy 717

Post by Ernie » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:53 pm

Good looking pistol. Hope the new lenses work like they should. Congratulations on both.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Glad the new lenses are working out for you. Keep us posted on the progress.

I bought a used 747 at a gun snow some years back and it's never let me down. Very user-friendly air pistol with target accuracy. Such a shame that Daisy dropped the series. Would love to find the 777, too, but I've never seen one, locally.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 pm

I have one just like that, except I bought it new a few years back 😬. Like around 1975….

I tuned the trigger and added an over travel stop screw, it is delightful compared to the original. OTH it is probably no longer drop safe, so I am always very careful with it when the safety is off. If you are interested I can post a few pics. It still has the original seals and it still works fine. You can still find a wood grip for it …. https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/. Mine still looks very nice, but not so much as yours. Nice find!

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:28 pm

Here’s mine. The plastic sights are lame but functional And my left grip has no gold medallion.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:24 am

Glad to hear your peepers are working. I have a 747 that I bought from our old friend TGR some years ago. I will have to keep an eye out for the other two models now.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:09 am

Yup, TGR was quite the shooter. I bought my IZH-46M "Izzy" from him. Awesome air pistol.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:34 pm

I bought several handguns, rifles and even a shotgun from TGR.

Great to hear your vision is better. The Hav-A-Hank looks great too and made in the USA.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater