Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

HW 97 Range Report

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

HW 97 Range Report

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:25 pm

What a nice rifle. I waited along time procrastinating on going PCP vs staying with another spring gun. I really like this rifle. I only have 2 and thats all I plan on getting. This one in my opinion is a Rolls Royce. The stock is really nice and I like the design work on the forend. It does provide a nice gripping feel when shooting off hand. On top is a Hawke 3x9x40 AO scope. I bought the complete setup from Airguns of Arizona. They are great people to deal with and always spend as much time as you need on the phone. When the gun arrived I unboxed it checked the scope screws and made a small adjustment to the scope. I also ran a patch through the bore. I sighted it in and shot three targets with three different pellets. First picture is the gun
IMG_1997.JPG
Next picture is the first target I shot. Im not as good as NCG and dont know if I could ever shoot 1/4 inch groups like she does. It really takes some serious concentration to shoot those kind of groups. My groups were 8 shot 20 yards.
IMG_1994.jpg
Target #2 is with another brand of pellet. I just didnt do my part on about 3 of these shots I think I can shoot a better group with that pellet.
IMG_1995.jpg
Target #3 is my best one and I blew the 8th shot its the furthest one to the right
IMG_1996.jpg
These targets I got on Amazon. They fit right into the dueling animal target stand that I recently posted in the target review I did. I really like that target and would highly recommend it for shooting at. Thanks to NCG for all her help and advice. I will post more targets as I shoot more. I have a couple other brands but right now its hard to get certain pellets. Im about out of the heavy JSB and have a few tins of the lighter ones. Shoot those airguns. Hope you enjoy this report.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: HW 97 Range Report

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Nice report and good shootin'. I need to get out and shoot my HW50 more often.
Jake
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm

Outstanding, Al! That's some great shooting and what a fine rifle. Congrats. We have two of the 97Ks, one in the standard beech stock like yours and one in a blue laminate stock, but ours are in 177, since that's what we shoot the most. The HW97K really is my favorite under lever. It's not as fancy as the walnut Air Arms under levers, but I think it is definitely more user friendly to operate and just as accurate. I do think yours likes those JSBs, so better stock up.

Now that you have the HW95 and the 97K, what are your thoughts between the two?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:29 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm
Outstanding, Al! That's some great shooting and what a fine rifle. Congrats. We have two of the 97Ks, one in the standard beech stock like yours and one in a blue laminate stock, but ours are in 177, since that's what we shoot the most. The HW97K really is my favorite under lever. It's not as fancy as the walnut Air Arms under levers, but I think it is definitely more user friendly to operate and just as accurate. I do think yours likes those JSBs, so better stock up.

Now that you have the HW95 and the 97K, what are your thoughts between the two?
Thanks NCG and Jake. I did a little trigger adjustment after shooting these targets and got a really nice trigger pull. I dont have a gauge but I can tell its light. I also did some off hand shooting with this gun. Sure the 97 is heavier than the 95 and you will probably get tired quicker than shooting the 95. I like both guns but I do like the 97 better and I think it is not as hold sensitive as the 95 is because of the solid barrel. I shot the gun about 60 or 70 rounds today. Its to hot out there right now or Id be shooting it some more. I really do like shooting these airguns and I can see why NCG and Sir Henry like shooting them as well. I also really like the scope. That Hawke scope is way better than the scope I have on my 95. The 95 scope is a Weihrauch scope and it came with the gun. Shoot those Airguns and shoot often
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:35 pm

That's good shootin'!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Yup, shoot those airguns and shoot them often. :)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:09 pm

Fantastic! I can’t wait to get settled in somewhere because your darn tootin’ I like pellet shootin’.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater