Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Go USA and for this former Army Man-air rifle

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Whiskeyshooter
Tenderfoot

Go USA and for this former Army Man-air rifle

Post by Whiskeyshooter » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Air guns today are not the Airguns of your father. I hope powder burner shooters can see that they are very serious shooting instruments, and provide great training. If you ever get to be this good, go for it. This guy may be a Olympic champion.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/dan-low ... m-olympics
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Go USA and for this former Army Man-air rifle

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 am

People don't know what they are missing if they have never shot an air rifle.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 am

That guy could DEFINITELY put an eye out with that thing :)
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 am

I don't have any experience with air rifles but would love to give it a try. I imagine the recoil is significantly less? Maybe it's something my wife could get into with me.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:42 am

JCN wrote:I don't have any experience with air rifles but would love to give it a try. I imagine the recoil is significantly less? Maybe it's something my wife could get into with me.
The recoil on my Beeman P1 is more than a .22LR. But it is not backward recoil it is forward when the spring stops.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:33 am

Makes sense. Would it be less intimidating for a new shooter?
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:59 am

Sir Henry wrote:
JCN wrote:I don't have any experience with air rifles but would love to give it a try. I imagine the recoil is significantly less? Maybe it's something my wife could get into with me.
The recoil on my Beeman P1 is more than a .22LR. But it is not backward recoil it is forward when the spring stops.
I could be wrong but it was my understanding from what I read that unlike most springers the B1s recoil was actually backwards and not forward which was one of its main attractions.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:25 pm

JCN wrote:Makes sense. Would it be less intimidating for a new shooter?
I think so, but keep in mind pellet guns aren't toys either and depending on the caliber the more damage or harm can still be inflected, in fact some states and some counties or cities consider air guns to be fire arms depending on where you live. You may not require a permit but then again you may not be able to discharge an air gun within your city limit. I actually started with a bb gun decades ago and found that dhelped me when first starting my military career and being able to shoot as well as I did when I picked up that m16. There certainly were differences but the fact that I had experience aiming something previously was a big help. Frankly I think it's much easier to start with a rifle first however. It's easier to achieve more accuracy with a rifle than a pistol. However as you become better with a pistol you'll even be much better with a rifle.

There are differences between a springer and a black powder gun and you might want to keep this in mind. Most springers recoil in the opposite direction and the pellet remains in the gun longer. Air guns can be extremely accurate. However to attain this accuracy and because of these unique characteristics one is supposed to hold a springers looser than one would a black powder gun. It's called an Artillery Hold.
0 x