Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

10 meter air pistols at long range

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

10 meter air pistols at long range

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 17, 2021 6:32 pm

If there's one kind of shooting I miss with my powder burning guns, it's long range pistol work. Hey, airguns are great, but no one shoots air pistols at long range, save for a few hunters who use some specialty PCP pistols designed for hunting. Nope, air pistols are overwhelmingly low powered, 350-500 fps guns designed for either 10 meter completion or air pistol silhouette which is shot at 10-18 yards. What's an old handgun silhouette shooter like me to do?

Answer is that I decided to step out of the box and start shooting my 10 meter air pistols at 30 yards and even 50 yards. For sure, it takes a day of no wind with such low powered airguns to have a chance at long range, but I had a few of those this last week, so gave it a try.

First up is my IZH 46M, better known as the "Izzy". It's a single pump pneumatic 10m match pistol that shoots right 450 fps. I decided to go all out silhouette style, so I mounted a 2-7x rifle scope on the Izzy. Then I used a silhouette hold with the Izzy right up to my face to use the riflescope.

This is a big heavy rig with a scope, so I did some shooting in a sitting position without a rest and some from a full standing position.

Okay, how about 50 yards?

Next up is my Steyr LP 10 10 meter match pistol. For long range work, I rigged up a homemade mount so I could use a red dot.

Dropped the silhouette hold and went with a conventional pistol stance, but cheated a little by using two hands (10m match pistol is strictly shot with one hand). Pulled a few at 30 yards so this one is twelve shots instead of the usual ten.

Out at 50 I hit a little snag with the red dot in that it ran out of the needed elevation adjustment. No problem, I just held about a foot over the target and went to work.

Bottom line for me is that I can shoot my air pistols at some of the same distances I've shot my regular cartridge guns and do roughly as well. Just took a little experimenting and effort... and a little help from the wind goddess. :)
2 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: 10 meter air pistols at long range

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon May 17, 2021 6:50 pm

You still amaze me! After so many years of seeing you shooting some of the coolest guns. And posting targets that I can only dream of coming close. Keep them coming I enjoy seeing the results of your passion for the art.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 pm

Thank-you, Seabee. You and I have been around here a long time, old friend. Always nice to see you post.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 17, 2021 8:47 pm

Ditto what Seabee said. I’ve learned a lot from you over the years and still am. I’m glad you are into airguns because that is an area I am pursuing heavy at home.

Surprisingly my Red Ryder gives me the most pleasure. Offhand at 15 yards it pushes me to become the best that I can get. I’ve shot more offhand in my backyard in the last 30 days than in the previous 2 years.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:21 pm

Nice job with the pistols NCG. Im glad we have you here for not only Airguns but your inside knowledge of the gun industry period.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 18, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks, guys.

For me the the take away from this little experiment is that air pistols can be a reasonable substitute for 20 to 50 yard pistol work with cartridge guns, assuming you don't have a lot of wind to fight. The accuracy is certainly there. This is an important discovery for me, since I have a long history of shooting handguns at longer ranges.

Of course, if you are a more modern pistol shooter used to shooting pistols, close up, all the more reason to try air pistols.Either one of the air pistols used in this little experiment will easily outshoot your typical powder burning pistol. In fact, the Steyr in its day was the model of 10m air pistol that held the record for the most Olympic medals.
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Really surprised me the first time I saw the accuracy they can deliver at 50m
A mate has been on the state team for the last 8 or so years mainly shooting 50m pistol. A few times he pulled out his air pistol at the range and shot at 50. The groups are certainly comparable to what he shoots in the 50m match but the slightest hint of wind blows the pellets around.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 18, 2021 8:05 pm

You are so right about the wind factor, 220. It's the one factor that makes the difference at 50 yards between air guns and rimfires.

Let add that this forum has been the best thing ever for my peace of mind and companionship over the years. Means the world to me. You guys are the best.
1 x