Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Which Pellet Rifle

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Which Pellet Rifle

Post by GeoBoy » Wed May 05, 2021 7:23 pm

I have a problem, we have Grackles. Grackles are a large black bird that likes to nest in conifer trees, they are noisy and when they have newborn babies they clean their nests by taking the fecal matter in their beaks and depositing it on nearby driveways, patios and open decks. My neighbor has a row of conifer trees between our properties and they are nesting there. I purchased a Bird X Peller electronic Grackle repeller but I have a couple of nesters that ignore the repeller and are starting to make a mess. They have to go and my next step is to eliminate the offenders. Which pellet gun, make, model and caliber would you recommend to eliminate these offenders. I live in the suburbs and a firearm is forbidden.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Which Pellet Rifle

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm

Be careful about shooting grackles - they are protected under the Migratory Bird Act, though I have heard that some areas get a waiver if they become problem. I'd check with your local warden on this. Starlings and House Sparrows are not protected so you can shoot those, no problem.

I'd also check on the legality of shooting air guns in your suburb. Air guns are not regulated by the feds or most states, true, but a lot of local cities and towns do have ordinances that prohibit shooting them.

Okay, assuming you want to get an airgun just for this problem, it's likely you don't want to spend a lot of money. I'd suggest heading to Wal-mart, then and buying the old reliable Crosman 760 pump gun in either 177 or 22. This will get you up to 600 fps or so which is plenty for killing grackles in a tree in the yard. It will also be relatively quiet and easy to shoot. DO NOT get one of those "magnum" piston guns you'll also see at Wal-mart which advertise crazy high velocities. These guns have considerable recoil, making them very hard to shoot, plus they will be very loud.

If you want something a step up from the Crosman, try one of the Benjamin pumpers like the 397 (177) or 392 (22). (These are also made by Crosman, Crosman owns Benjamin.) Build quality will be much better. These have been around a long, long time and will last a lifetime. Like the 760, they'll have the power to do the job and will be easy to shoot. Another thing I like about these classic pumps is that you can vary the power just by changing the number of pumps. I use 4 pumps for target work in the backyard and even 4 pumps is enough to kill a bird like a grackle, though you can go all the way up to 8 pumps if you need more power.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes for you.
2 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:21 pm

North Country Gal, thanks for the great advise, I will check on weather they are protected in NYS and if I am allowed to shoot an air gun in my town. I like to purchase quality, made in the USA or Europe and want nothing to do with Chinese made products. Knowing this, any other rifles you would recommend?
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 pm

FYI, within Spokane city limits it is not illegal to shoot a pellet or bb gun, but it is a gross misdemeanor if a wayward shot hurts somebody. You have to read the ordinances closely, many people just say it is illegal, which it is not. HERE. Things could be different where you live, just be sure to understand the details. If there are houses close to yours you should NOT shoot upwards into trees, you do not know where that pellet will come down. I don’t normally shoot outside, but I do have a problem now and then with a marmot (ground hog) living under a rock wall in my fenced back yard, my choice of caliber (a powerful PCP .25) was based on the possible need to put it down.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 05, 2021 9:00 pm

John makes a very good point on shooting up into trees. When I have done it for squirrels, I make sure that I have a tree trunk or large branch behind the target in case of a miss. I never take a chance on a target out in the open with nothing behind it to act as a backstop.

There are other options, yes. Just depends on how much you want to invest. Another affordable option in terms of the power level we're talking abut is to go CO2. Usually not quite the power level you can get with a pumper at max number of pumps, but no pumping and plenty accurate AND affordable. A couple folks here have recently gotten into CO2 rifles like the QB78. I have friend who uses the Crosman 1077 CO2 rifle in her yard for pest control, chipmunks and ground squirrels who get in her garden. I wouldn't push most of these CO2 rifles too far for hunting, though. Keep the targets small.

By the way, these low power airguns are ideal for shooting indoors if you have the room to do it. I have a 10 meter air gun range in the basement that I use all the time for my airgun shooting.

One more thing I'll add is that shot placement is everything when using air rifles for hunting. Head shots or lung shots are a must.

And another one more more thing. :) How sensitive are your neighbors about shooting an airgun in your yard?
0 x

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Wed May 05, 2021 10:16 pm

Well unfortunately Grackles are a protected species in NYS, so I will have to pursue other means of dealing with these dirty birds. Thanks, everyone for your advise.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu May 06, 2021 9:55 am

From an old thread: “Some states it is perfectly legal to shoot grackles. It just depends on the state. If they are truly causing you problems, you can call your local game warden and usually get a depredation permit to get rid of them. As far as just shooting them for fun, that is likely a no-no.” ... https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/i ... ic=31506.0

I can’t begin to imagine why these nasty animals are protected.... I am glad they are not in my part of the country, because I would blast them.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1997 ... story.html

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 am

GeoBoy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:16 pm
Well unfortunately Grackles are a protected species in NYS, so I will have to pursue other means of dealing with these dirty birds. Thanks, everyone for your advise.
Hope you find a solution. Best of luck.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 am

If you find a solution that you can share with us, let us know. I'm interested.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

gecsr1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gecsr1 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:48 am

Gamo Swarm Maxim Gen2 10 shot 22cal
1 x