Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

50 yards with the air rifles begins

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

50 yards with the air rifles begins

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:55 pm

I finally got around to trying some 50 yard shooting after setting up our backyard airgun range for some 50 yard work earlier this spring. For sure, I could have picked a better day as far as wind and also far as the air rifle, but nothing like a challenge, right?

The gun I chose is actually an excellent air rifle, namely, our new AA (CZ) 200T. It now wears the excellent Nikon 3-9x EFR.

The problem, though, is The AA 200T is a 10 meter match rifle and only develops 500 fps at the muzzle. It was never designed for distance work. That means that any breeze at all or even any air instability will push the light 7.87g 177 pellets I was using all over the place by the time they travel out to 50 yards. In fact, the pellets were moving so slow, I could easily follow the path of the pellets in the scope as they slowly traveled that 50 yards. Seems they took forever to get there.

Still, I was determined to shoot a good group. The problem, today, wasn't so much wind speed as its unpredictability. It would be calm one minute and the next I'd get a gust and even stranger, the gusts would come from different directions. Playing the wind, though, is a big part of air gun shooting at this distance.

Here's my best group of the day. I'd love to tell you I repeated it over and over, but I couldn't. The wind just refused to cooperate. As it was, it took a long time and a lot of patience to shoot this one. Most groups stayed under an inch, though, if I was patient, but waiting for the wind to behave so I could get 5 good shots in a row was pretty darn frustrating. Ended the session just shooting steel, instead.

BUT, this really is representative of what a good PCP rifle can do at 50 yards. I know, because I've done it often enough with our other PCP rifles (those shoot at 900 fps). So, welcome to the club my little CZ 200T. :)

4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: 50 yards with the air rifles begins

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Ya Id be frustrated with a group like that. I bet the better half just shakes his head. Nice shooting NCG but we know how good you really are.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Darn fine shooting. Any day.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:10 pm

Great shooting. With a gun designed for longer range I'm sure it would have been much smaller.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am

You managed to draw the best out of that rifle! 👍
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am

Thanks, guys.

The difference between this rifle and one designed for shooting at this distance is going to mostly a matter of repeatability, thanks to being able to handle the wind better. With the two Daysate PCPs, for instance, I would have expected to shoot a lot more of those groups, even with the unpredictable wind.
0 x