Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Airgun scope

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Airgun scope

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:15 pm

NCG or SH
Which airgun scope were you 2 raving over here a while back. I looked for the thread but cannot find it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Airgun scope

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Not sure, but one of the scopes I have been using, recently on the CO2 and PCPs is the Hawke Vantage 2-7x. It's a roughly $100 scope, but pretty decent optics for the money. Note that it is rated only for piston guns under 12 fpe, according to what I've read in reviews. To be safe, though, I'd keep it even lower in power than that.

I would not use he Vantage on your HW95. For a springer in that class, you need to move up to the Hawke AirMax series, which basically doubles the price. You do get a ballistic style reticle on the AirMax, though.

I'm still hurting over the loss of my favorite airgun scope in the Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9x. The Hawkes are certainly decent, optically, but still no match for the Nikon. Still haven't found a good replacement at a reasonable price. Used ones are now going for insane prices.

Another scope that I have been using is the Leupold Rimfire 3-9x EFR, but with the recent Leupold price increases, it's almost double the price of what I used to pay for the Nikon EFR. Ouch! I have two of these, but I'm in no hurry to buy another at such prices. Last one we got on sale for $350. When they first came out, I was able to get one at about $225. Hey, I've always been a fan of Leupolds, but the recent price increases are making it very difficult to keep buying Leupolds.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:49 am

Hawk Advantage.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks I will look into that should I ever decide on what gun I might get
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:54 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:18 pm
Not sure, but one of the scopes I have been using, recently on the CO2 and PCPs is the Hawke Vantage 2-7x. It's a roughly $100 scope, but pretty decent optics for the money. Note that it is rated only for piston guns under 12 fpe, according to what I've read in reviews. To be safe, though, I'd keep it even lower in power than that.

I would not use he Vantage on your HW95. For a springer in that class, you need to move up to the Hawke AirMax series, which basically doubles the price. You do get a ballistic style reticle on the AirMax, though.

I'm still hurting over the loss of my favorite airgun scope in the Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9x. The Hawkes are certainly decent, optically, but still no match for the Nikon. Still haven't found a good replacement at a reasonable price. Used ones are now going for insane prices.

Another scope that I have been using is the Leupold Rimfire 3-9x EFR, but with the recent Leupold price increases, it's almost double the price of what I used to pay for the Nikon EFR. Ouch! I have two of these, but I'm in no hurry to buy another at such prices. Last one we got on sale for $350. When they first came out, I was able to get one at about $225. Hey, I've always been a fan of Leupolds, but the recent price increases are making it very difficult to keep buying Leupolds.
Thanks NCG. My 95 has a weihrauch scope on it already it works good
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:36 pm

I'm glad I found this older thread, as I'm trying to decide on which scope to buy for my recently acquired HW95. I'm looking at the Hawke Airmax in 3-9x40. A salesman at AOA however recommended the Athlon Optics Talos 3-12x40 which is about $50.00 cheaper than the Hawke. Both have the etched reticle. 🤷
As far as mounts go, he also recommended Sportsmatch 2 pc.TO4C medium mounts. He quoted $240.00 for the Athlon scope and Sportsmatch mounts.
Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated regarding scopes and mounts.

Guess I've got the air gun/springer bug now. 🙄 Just want to do it right. 🤔
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:31 pm

Sportsmatch rings/mounts are top notch. All I use, anymore. No experience with Athlon, but the Hawke Airmax I have used and it's also a great scope. My only criticism of the Airmax is that the reticle is actually pretty fine and it was hard for me to see, even just for range use at times. No way could I have used that scope back in the woods. Got lucky and sold it to a local air gun shooting pal and he loves it. The less expensive Vantage, though, had an easier to see reticle, but you really should step up to the Airmax series with the recoil level on the 95. The Vantage is really more appropriate for HW30 or 50 recoil levels.

The one other issue to keep in mind on so many of these air rifle brand scopes like Hawke and Athlon are that they are typically heavy scopes. That means you can end up with a very heavy rifle and scope rig. Not such a big deal when shooting from a rest, but definitely something to consider for offhand shooting or carrying. The light weight and small size of the Leupold Freedom 3-9x EFR is why it's become my favorite air rifle scope. Just wish it wasn't so pricey. Oh, well.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:38 pm

Unless I am mistaken the Athlon scope does not have the adjustable objective. I like the AO for close in targets. Other than that I have no experience with the scope he is recommending
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:21 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:38 pm
Unless I am mistaken the Athlon scope does not have the adjustable objective. I like the AO for close in targets. Other than that I have no experience with the scope he is recommending
The Athlon has an additional turret on the right side, which is, Adjustable parallax. Is that not the same as AO ? I guess I'm still a bit confused on this issue. Only one of my other rifles sports a scope which might help explain my lack of knowledge regarding scopes. My BBS357 sports a simple Weaver 1-3x20. Not much there..but I like it on that rifle.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:24 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:31 pm
Sportsmatch rings/mounts are top notch. All I use, anymore. No experience with Athlon, but the Hawke Airmax I have used and it's also a great scope. My only criticism of the Airmax is that the reticle is actually pretty fine and it was hard for me to see, even just for range use at times. No way could I have used that scope back in the woods. Got lucky and sold it to a local air gun shooting pal and he loves it. The less expensive Vantage, though, had an easier to see reticle, but you really should step up to the Airmax series with the recoil level on the 95. The Vantage is really more appropriate for HW30 or 50 recoil levels.

The one other issue to keep in mind on so many of these air rifle brand scopes like Hawke and Athlon are that they are typically heavy scopes. That means you can end up with a very heavy rifle and scope rig. Not such a big deal when shooting from a rest, but definitely something to consider for offhand shooting or carrying. The light weight and small size of the Leupold Freedom 3-9x EFR is why it's become my favorite air rifle scope. Just wish it wasn't so pricey. Oh, well.
Thank you again NCG!
This is the exact kind of information I'm looking for.
You and Al have been extremely helpful.

I don't think I'm finished yet though! 😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry