Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Benjamin no XL .25 cal

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Benjamin no XL .25 cal

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Looking for input on this Benjamin air rifle. One has come up for sale near me. I’d like to know what a fair price would be and any feedback on performance.

Paul
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Benjamin no XL .25 cal

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm

25 cal pellets are going to be tough to find locally. I know you can get some on line. They hit hard in 25 cal but the bigger pellets are going to be in the 550 FPS range. The gun sells for around 300.00 so it would depend on condition. NCG could probably do a better job with value that I could
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks. The more I read about these the less I think a .25 is a good choice for me. I guess I'll just move on and keep looking.

Paul
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Let us know when you find something.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:36 pm

Yes, the gun new is about $300, but the first issue you need to consider with any piston gun, spring or gas, is what kind of accuracy do you want? You cannot shoot piston guns like other guns or even other airguns. Benjamin NPs are not easy to shoot. I had one.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:04 am

What was your intention for using it Paul? The .25 has some distinct advantages over the .22 in some applications. I like my Benjamin Nitro Piston, but I've added a different trigger and a few other tweeks to get it where I wanted it. I mainly use (used) it for hunting. I would not consider the .25 for casual plinking as it's ammunition is mostly online and more expensive.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:19 am

I’m really just looking for a decent casual pinker. Something that I can use to shoot off my back deck. I don’t care to hunt with it and if I need to shoot a critter in my yard my .22 rifle will do. Neighbors are not a problem since everyone shoots occasionally and we all have enough property.

I started to look at this Benjamin when it came up fosale on our local gun trader. He’s already lowered the asking price a few times so it thought it might be a good buy. But with the input I’m getting this is not going to be something I would be happy with. I’m in no rush so in the meantime I’ll keep doing more research.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm

I went with CO2 for most of my backyard plinking and target shooting because it met all of my requirements. Availability and choices are plentiful in 177 and accuracy is there at my limited distances.

Not needing it for what a .22LR can do makes the 177 CO2 lineup even more appealing.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Well, in your position I would not be looking for an air rifle at all, just more .22LR quiet ammo, and shoot it though a long barrel rifle. The only benefit of an airgun over a powder gun IMHO is being able to shoot indoors in foul weather, or in the yard with close neighbors. CCI .22LR Quiet through a 20" barrel has a pretty benign report. Add a can and it is amazing.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:49 pm

I agree with you John as far as performance. As far as cost and availability, though, good luck finding any CCI Quiet, right now. Even if you do, pellets are much cheaper to shoot.
1 x