Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

backstop

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: backstop

Post by dave77 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:05 am

Just checked fedex tracking and now it says Monday, darn. I hate waiting. :cry:
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:08 pm

Pellets and 2-88g CO2's showed up today so have everything I need to shoot except the rifle, now Fedex is saying Tuesday. Went ahead and ordered a pellet trap and some silhouette targets, they're supposed to be here Friday. Have a board and shelf brackets but can't mount it to my garage wall until I get the rifle and see what I will need for a backstop.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Rifle showed up this morning, cleaned the barrel, took around 10 patches to get all the protectant out. Got my shelf up, going to take it down and paint it tomorrow, wanted to shoot it so just hung a temp backstop up, will do something different for permanent. Bullet trap worked great, some of the low shots bounced out but the cardboard stopped them and they dropped just in front of the trap.

I was kind of surprised with the backstop testing, shooting from around 30 ft the pellet just penetrated enough to be flush with the surface of some ¾" OSB, penetrated about a ¾" into the 2x12. I think I'll just use some OSB above and below the shelf for silhouette shooting.

I need a base to set my little table on, it was just sitting on the lawn so it was pretty wobbly and my shooting rest is not that stable either. The four small bullseyes were shot on the bench at 10m, the center was offhand but sitting in a chair, I could tell I was shooting high so seemed to gradually bring them down. Will see if my scope will mount on it tomorrow.

Definitely will do the safety mod in the video, don't know why they would set it to go on safety every time you load a new pellet. Is this something common on an air rifle?

1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:18 pm

Looks good, and safe Dave!
I guess I'm not up on air rfles enough to know why it defaults to "safe". I have two pump ups, but neither one defalults to safe.
Guess thats because they are single shot, and have to be cocked before shooting anyway.
Hope you are having fun!!☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:46 am

Dave, it depends on the type of air rifle as far as the auto safety. It's been a long standing tradition in spring piston air rifles and still a standard feature on all the top brands. On springers, I suspect it's easy to make the safety auto with the cocking mechanism. The auto safety on a springer also serves another safety function in that it reduces the likelihood of the trigger accidentally getting tripped during cocking. If you pull the trigger on a springer when the gun is cocked, but the barrel or action is still open, the barrel or action will slam shut under the force of the spring. You would not want your fingers in the way when that happens.

Most pneumatic air guns - CO2, pumps, PCP - do not have an auto safety. Some single shot PCPs used target completion don't even have a safety. There are some rare exceptions, though. Yours is one of them.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:23 pm

I don’t usually use the safety. Maybe I should start.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:44 pm

I don't mind safeties but I want them on when I put them on, not when I'm sitting at my bench and they come on every time I cock the gun. It's a pretty easy fix but will wait a while before doing it as I'm sure it will void the warranty.

Really like the fiber optic open sights on this gun although the rear rods are kind of vulnerable, don't know how but I already broke one, kind of disappointed they didn't include some spare rod. Anyway my eyes aren't as good as they used to be so I'm going to try a scope.

Tried my .22 lr scope and it will focus at 10m so it's worth trying on the pellet gun, I do need to get some new mounts, the ones I have are for a Picatinny/Weaver rail.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Might try a red dot. I've been using one on a couple of the springers, lately, just for kicks. For me and my old eyes, way easier to use than iron sights.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:41 pm

I have a tube type red dot on my AR, much easier to to use than the iron sights. I tried a open type red dot on my Henry but the one I got wouldn't adjust high enough, maxed out it still shot way low, took it back and put on some Skinner's.

If my scope doesn't work out I will probably get the Hawke scope you recommended. Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WN2669C/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I wonder how I'd do mounting one of my lasers on it. I shoot my PX4c great with it's laser.

7yds offhand, fairly rapid fire, need to work on that first double action shot though.

0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:57 pm

Nice shooting Dave!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry