Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

backstop

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

backstop

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:45 pm

At least temporarily I'm going to be using my garage wall as a backstop. Will a piece of ½" OSB stop a co2 .22 pellet. Will eventually get or build some kind pellet trap but for now will just attach a piece to the wall. I could go thicker if needed but already have some smaller pieces of ½ OSB, hate to buy any lumber right now, was at Lowe's yesterday, $8.50 for a 2x4x8. :o
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: backstop

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Only one way to find out. I bet it will stop it until it gets beat up enough. In the long haul I would recommend a steel trap. Not only will they stop the pellet but they will also prevent ricochets.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:22 pm

Ditto on the steel pellet trap. The 22 rimfire rated ones will work with any airgun and you'll never wear one out. Just pick it up and move as needed. Only issue is lead splatter under the trap, but that's an easy fix. I use one in the basement for my indoor shooting.

0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Was looking at this trap, only complaint was some pellets bouncing out but that a piece of cardboard behind the target was enough to stop them. Will build a shelf on the garage wall and make it long enough to put some silhouette targets on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MH44YS5/?c ... it_im&th=1

Unfortunately I have no basement and I don't think my cats would appreciate me shooting indoors.🙀
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:02 pm
Was looking at this trap, only complaint was some pellets bouncing out but that a piece of cardboard behind the target was enough to stop them. Will build a shelf on the garage wall and make it long enough to put some silhouette targets on it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MH44YS5/?c ... it_im&th=1

Unfortunately I have no basement and I don't think my cats would appreciate me shooting indoors.🙀
Can you shoot outdoors? You could back up the OSB with some thick rubber stall mat. Some of it is 3/4 inch thick and comes in a 3x6 foot piece and smaller.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:59 pm

The pellets out of my Weihrauch go right thru osb board. Im not sure about the CO2 gun you are getting.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:59 pm

I will only be shooting outdoors, at a outside wall of my garage. New gun is rated at 550 FPS. Just looking for something temporary, maybe double up on the OSB for flyers and mount the actual target on a short piece of 2x12 I happen to have. The stall mat is a pretty good idea, 3x6 would be a good size to back up the silhouettes I want to get, that would give me a 18" above and below the shelf I want to put up. Maybe a larger piece of OSB behind it just in case, the garage wall is OSB and I could always patch it with some wood putty but would hate to have a pellet flying into the garage.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:19 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:59 pm
I will only be shooting outdoors, at a outside wall of my garage. New gun is rated at 550 FPS. Just looking for something temporary, maybe double up on the OSB for flyers and mount the actual target on a short piece of 2x12 I happen to have. The stall mat is a pretty good idea, 3x6 would be a good size to back up the silhouettes I want to get, that would give me a 18" above and below the shelf I want to put up. Maybe a larger piece of OSB behind it just in case, the garage wall is OSB and I could always patch it with some wood putty but would hate to have a pellet flying into the garage.
I have the Walther Co2 Lever rifle that shoots .177 pellets in that speed range. We are going to have some nice weather next several days and I will do a test for you. I have some OSB board and the mentioned stall mat. My thinking was to place the mat behind the OSB. Not sure if a pellet will ricochet of the tough rubber mat but will find out. I do know that pellets will ricochet off those rubber self sealing targets for .22 rimfire!!

I used the stall mat to back up a sand filled box made of 3/4 OSB for a bullet backstop at my range. 2x4 foot box 16 inches in thickness full of sand.
The stall mat even with bullet hole would self seal and keep the sand in. Even a .308 rifle or .45-70 would NOT penetrate the box!
4 yrs. later that box is still holding sand even thought the center of the OSB is fully shot out!
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 pm

Thanks, looking forward to seeing your results. Hoping to get the gun by end of this week or sometime next week.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:34 am

I think your design will work okay with a 500 fps gun. At that velocity, you have a lot of options for making a temporary backstop. Have even heard of some shooters stuffing a large cardboard box with shredded paper and such.
0 x