Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Indoor and target PCP, AA T200

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Indoor and target PCP, AA T200

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm

NCG yes I knew it was not the typical made in china rifle. Only because of the research I did. Just still deciding 177 or 22
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 pm

Your call on that one, Al. We're just target shooters, so not much advantage for us going 22.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:50 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 pm
Al, I didn't know much about this rifle, so did several reviews on it. I have to say I was impressed. It's actually a Hammerli 850, made in Germany, so definitely not some cheap imported junk. There's even a PCP version. Runs on the big 88/90 gram cartridges, but Umarex offers a 12 gram adapter. Accuracy looks good, not quite PCP class, but very good and for sure, it gets you out of the fill hassle of going PCP. Crazy number of fills.

I think the best video was by https://airgundetectives.com/umarex-850 ... ll-review/. He did some interesting mods. Check it out.
This looks like one I'd be interested in getting, it's in my price range and accurate. Would be using it for target shooting and maybe shooting some rats that have been invading my friend's chicken coop. I was looking at some break barrels but would rather have the easier, quicker loading of this one. Couple of questions, I have a decent scope on my .22 that I rarely shoot. It's a Weaver 3-12x44mm, maybe a little overkill for a pellet gun but it looks very similar to the one on the gun in the review. Also is this the one Al said you could convert to PCP.
Just curious if it's possible to shoot BB's in the .177 model.

0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:19 am

Dave
I would need to dig a little deeper in research to be sure on converting this one but maybe NCG knows that answer. I had watched that video before she pointed it out and if Im not mistaken I think he mentions it. If not I know on GLA there is a thread where a guy has done it as he owns more than one. As far as BBs go this gun has a magazine that is made for pellets so I don’t think BBs are an option
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:24 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Just still deciding 177 or 22
Bigger pellets are way more fun if you plan to plink cans or paintballs. Plus they are a whole lot easier to manipulate if your finger dexterity is declining. This is the main reason I bought a .25 caliber Bull Boss. I do not shoot enough rounds to make the pellet cost a factor. Look for a gun that has a single shot tray available.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 am

Dave, I suspect you could shoot BBs in any 177 air rifle if you wanted to do it bad enough, but I see no advantage to it. For sure, you're not doing the rifling any favors since typical BBs are steel. That's why actual BB guns are smoothbore. Folks who have done it report poor accuracy, anyway. Not something I would recommend. Is there a reason why you'd want to do it?

As for the scope, yes, you can use any kind of scope you want on a CO2 or PCP or pneumatic. It's only on piston guns that you need to get a scope that is "air gun rated" due to the recoil. Even with such an air-gun rated scope, I've still had scopes go bad on my springers. Replacing scopes on springers is just something we springers shooters have to do at times. Not fun. Lost one this week.

The one caveat about using rimfire and big game scopes for air gun shooting is parallax. Parallax at 10 meters with even a standard rimfire scope without an AO is enough to be a problem. It can cause misses on very small targets. Many big game scopes won't even focus, clearly, up that close. Couple weeks back, I tried a Nikon big game scope with an AO and had that problem, because the AO wouldn't even focus down to 30 yards. Simply could not get a sharp image at 30 yards. Give that scope a try, though. Might work just fine. Won't know till then.

I agree, John, that there are advantages to bigger pellets and handling is definitely one of them. I think every shooter has to weigh the pros and cons, then make the choice of caliber decision for themselves.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:09 pm

I have never heard the term joule used before.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Is the .177 measured from the lands or the grooves on airguns?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Joule is the unit of energy in metric, fpe is the unit of energy in the English system. In countries where the metric system is used, such as the continent in Europe, joules are used instead of fpe to rate air gun power.

The 177 is the measurement between the lands, though most air gun barrels measure slightly less between the lands than the marked caliber. Typically, a 177 barrel will measure .176 between the lands. The grooves are larger and vary by barrel manufacturer. Again, in metric a 177 cal airgun is a 4.5mm air gun.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:36 pm

Was just curious about the bb's, pellets are cheap enough. From what I can see my scope has a AO dial, I didn't have any trouble focusing down to around 40 feet so will probably at least try it on the airgun.

The Umarex 850 M2 looks like what I want but being a novice when it comes to airguns is it not recommended to leave a partially used CO2 cartridge in the gun, if so I would probably wait for the 2X12-GRAM CO2 ADAPTER to come back in stock before ordering the gun.
0 x