Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Why we've expanded our PCP air gun shooting.

All things air related here. BB guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, even air shotguns.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Why we've expanded our PCP air gun shooting.

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Finally got out, today, to shoot our new Daystate Huntsman Revere in 177. Meanwhile, my husband was having fun with our other Daystate, the vintage CR-97.

Our Revere in 177 is state of the art in PCP guns. It's a fully regulated 13 shot repeater via the removable drum magazine. The Huntsman Revere features side lever cocking similar to a biathlon rifle. It's butter smooth. When we bought the Revere, we decided to add the optional moderator which makes an already quiet gun whisper quiet. You have to be standing right next to me to even hear the shot. The stock is walnut and beautifully checkered and finished.

I added a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16 with an AO that I had on another rifle. Unfortunately, the AO does not focus down to 30 yards where we were shooting, today. As a result, I could not get as sharp a focus as I wanted, but I made do for the sake of a first outing.

As for the weather, we had a heat wave, today, with temps in the 50s. Unfortunately, we also had a strong 15-30 mph with higher gusts quartering behind us. Not ideal for accuracy testing, but no way were we going to pass up a chance to shoot in such nice weather.

So why did we expand our PCP shooting with a new rifle and an air compressor? The answer is consistent accuracy, group after group. At 30 yards with my best spring piston air guns, me having a good day and excellent shooting conditions, I can shoot groups that are as small as the groups I can shoot with our PCPs. What I can't do, though, is consistently repeat such excellent groups on a regular basis. If I'm lucky, I may get one such a group over the course of a shooting session.

The new Daystate Revere PCP demonstrated this in spades, today. After getting the scope dialed in, I shot 4 back to back groups. The largest group measured .39", c-c. The smallest group measured .31". The average for the 4 groups was .36". To shoot 4 such groups with my best springer, I would have to do so over the course of at least as many shooting sessions and go though a lot more pellets.

Here's the best group, today.

And the worst group.

All this done on a windy day with a scope that was not optimally focused. Oh, I'm still a diehard springer shooter and will always be one, but it's hard to argue with the performance of a good PCP rifle and this Daystate Huntsman Revere is one of the best.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Why we've expanded our PCP air gun shooting.

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Fantastic shooting especially on a windy day. I’m really sold on the AO air gun scopes that can focus down to ten feet.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:00 pm

Great shooting NCG and I love those Daystates
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:16 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:00 pm
Great shooting NCG and I love those Daystates
I’m looking at them too.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 pm

All the research I have done and I like those Daystate Huntsman the best. They are very highly rated.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Thanks, guys.

For sure, an air gun scope should focus down to 10 yards. Another nice feature of going PCP is that you do not have to use an "air gun rated" scope, thanks to lack of recoil.

I just switched out scopes on the Huntsman, by the way. Replaced the Nikon with - don't laugh - a current production Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 AO. Hey, these are great scopes for the money. In fact, this Banner is even brighter than the Nikon and optically very, very good. I've been using the same Banner model scope on the vintage Daystate CR-97 for years, now, and have had great success with it. And, of course, it focuses all the way down to 10 yards. No kidding, the Banner 6-18x50 AO is a well regarded scope in the air gun community. At some point I may splurge and spend big bucks on a premium scope, but I don't think the gun will shoot any better.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:33 pm

SUPER WOMAN!!!!!!!!
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:32 am

:) :) :) :)
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 am

If I was NCG's husband I would be in hog heaven to have a wife that is as involved in shooting as you are. I cant get my wife into it at all.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:28 pm

It's a habit I picked up when I joined Junior Rifle Club in 8th grade. Fell in love with the target shooting and have been at it ever since. That's why I think it is so important to start youngsters, especially girls in the sport of target shooting, early on. It gets hard to attract girls in the sport as they get older. Lots of cultural biases to overcome.
1 x