Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

45-70 and Unique powder

All things reloading here
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: 45-70 and Unique powder

Post by Squatch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:DO NOT COMPRESS TRAILBOSS, BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN IF YOU DO!

Developing trailboss loads
As noted in the powder description section, Trail Boss was designed primarily for reduced loads using lead bullets in pistol
cartridges. However, Trail Boss offers superb versatility in rifle cartridges producing reduced loads using lead or jacketed bullets.
These reduced loads make firing such cartridges as the 300 Winchester Magnum or even the 458 Winchester Magnum pure fun!
Listed below we show a few examples of such loads throughout the Reloading Data Center, but the fun doesn't stop there. If you
don't see Trail Boss data for your favorite cartridge we have a formula for developing loads for all cartridges and it's simple to
follow. This formula may be used in both rifle and pistol applications:
Find where the base of the bullet to be loaded is located in the case and make a mark on the outside of the case at
this location. Then fill the case to that mark with Trail Boss, pour into the scale pan and weigh. This is your
maximum load. Pressures will be below the maximum allowed for this cartridge and perfectly safe to use!
Take 70% of this powder charge weight (multiply the maximum load from step 1 by .7), and that is your starting
load.
Start with this beginning load and work up to your maximum charge, all the while searching for the most accurate
reduced load. Once found, the fun begins
I had read that when I worked up my load for 350 gr 45/70. Instead of following this. I looked at their published loads for the bullet above and below in weight. I took the range that was safe in both and used less than the top. When loaded in the case it was around 75% fill below the bullet base line. That was my double check for safety. It fits your quote. I've been pleased with the load.

I have to admit I'm a bit scared to try compressed loads of anything. Even stuff like H110 that calls for compressed in certain loads.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.