Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

RCBS Customer Service

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

RCBS Customer Service

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm

for those who reload, have you ever failed to put enough case lube on a bottleneck casing which resulted in getting it stuck in a resizing die .. :oops: .. OK, I have and have done so more than once .... it would be a considerable understatement to say removing the casing can tax one's patience .. :x .. so many years ago that I really couldn't say what decade it happened, I had a casing get stuck in an RCBS 30-06 resizing/decapping die .... eventually I got so frustrated I bought a second die set .... today I happened to open the box and after a few seconds, decided to try and remove the casing .... gave it a good squirt of Ballistol and let it sit a while .... eventually screwed the die into our RCBS press .... used vice grips to clamp onto the part of the casing extending from the bottom of the die .... used a set of channel locks to back the die out of the press .... it worked, the casing came out of the die .. 8-) .. all of the above is noted so as to get to this ====> I then called RCBS to order replacement parts .... I told the fellow right up front that the problem was completely my fault .... when I got through telling him what I needed he got our address and said the parts would be shipped tomorrow, AT NO CHARGE .... for me, that is a prime example of great customer service and product support after the sale
6 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: RCBS Customer Service

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm glad you got good service from them. My one experience with them was not so good.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

snell
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by snell » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Without doubt RCBS has some of the best customer service imaginable. For the future however, buy one of these:

http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparati ... mover.aspx

I have one in a drawer below my loading bench guess why?
3 x
USMC 63-66, ACPD 1968-2006 Currently working on my Henry collection. H006, H010 and a H004. Hopefully more to come.

chuckcook
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by chuckcook » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:19 pm

45 years ago when I was 18, I purchased a brand new RCBS Rock Chucker press. Last year I decided to use the Rock Chucker for strictly black powder cartridge reloading. The shell holder ram over the years became damaged. I send RCBS an email describing the part and the problem. They responded within a few hours, requesting the exact measurement of my ram. Apparently, over the years RCBS resized and redesigned the part. Bottom line, the RCBS rep emailed me, saying he located a new old stock ram. Requested my mailing address and shipped the new part for free.

Dillon also has excellent customer service. I needed a replacement part for my RL 550. They replaced the part at no charge.
1 x
“You’re a daisy if you do.”

NRA Life Member
SASS 11461

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:29 pm

snell wrote:Without doubt RCBS has some of the best customer service imaginable. For the future however, buy one of these:

http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparati ... mover.aspx

I have one in a drawer below my loading bench guess why?

link appreciated .... that is an accessory that makes sense .... link to a video showing how the kit works and if the guy who made the video can make the case remover work, I think most anyone can ... :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUnbnTkGA0
0 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 am

Glad to hear you got such good service from RCBS. They're just up the road from me and I know some of their employees. All seem like good people.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:01 am

;) Stuck case who ever heard of such a thing not me Ive never done that.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 am

BigAl52 wrote:;) Stuck case who ever heard of such a thing not me Ive never done that.
:roll:

after taking a look at the link provided by snell I ordered one from Amazon .... it is supposed to get here tomorrow .... I figure that having one will pretty well guarantee that I'll never stick another one .... ;)
0 x

snell
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by snell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:55 am

That video link showing the stuck case removal is way more complex than the real thing. The decapping pin and expander ball should be removed completely. Using two pliers, one on the die body and one on the knurled knob of the decapping assembly, will allow the expander ball to be pulled through the case mouth negating all the nonsense about careful drilling and die lowering. Pull the decapping assembly out of the die and drill through the primer hole then tap the hole completely. It takes more time to set the die into the press then it does to actually drill, tap and remove the stuck cartridge. Or so I'v ebeen told as I've never really stuck a case in the die :-)
0 x
USMC 63-66, ACPD 1968-2006 Currently working on my Henry collection. H006, H010 and a H004. Hopefully more to come.

snell
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by snell » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 pm

By the way the easiest way to avoid this is to use a good lube. The problem is that lubing is almost an art rather than a science. Some use commercial spray ons others use the gacky RCBS lube and many use the Imperial sizing wax. All have some shortcomings. I've recently discovered do it yourself lanolin based lube and cant believe how easy it is to resize and then clean the cases (and its one of the cheapest alternatives out there).

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/sho ... p?t=785134

Both the lanolin and alcohol are available on Amazon and spray bottles are available everywhere. I lay the cases out of an old tee shirt, spray them, roll them and spray again and leave em for about 15-20 minutes. When I come back they go into and out of the dies like butter. The lube is water soluble and I use a wet tumbler anyway so its good to go. I'm still using lube I bought and mixed last year and anticipate having some left next year too.
0 x