.357 C.O.A.L

All things reloading here
Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

.357 C.O.A.L

Post by Twotone » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:28 am

Hi all,
This may be a stupid question but I am relatively new to all this. I developed a successful load for my Henry BBB which took a lot of time and different powders etc using once fired factory brass. I trimmed the cases to 1.285" and maintained a COAL of 1.585". Then I decided to order some new brass, the Starline is average 1.275 and the PPU even less. What do I do now? If I try to maintain my COAL the bullet will be seated further out reducing pressure or the other way I get a smaller COAL and have the opposite. Either way the load I have been using is seemingly redundant. I am curious, why is new brass so far below the Saami spec and should I now start all over ?
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: .357 C.O.A.L

Post by clovishound » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:29 pm

What powder are you loading? I normally load target fodder. I use medium speed powder like Universal. This doesn't come even close to maximum volume, plus I am loading in the middle of the range, so I don't worry about COAL. I just crimp in the canelure and call it good.

I ran up some loads using H4227 a few years ago. I ran out of room in the case long before I reached max powder weight.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Twotone
Cowhand
Great Britain

Post by Twotone » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi
I am using Lil gun at the moment. I cannot say I have noticed any obvious signs of anything untoward but I am just curious as to why the brass is so undrsized compared to factory brass which I used to start with.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:38 pm

That's really not a huge difference and some cases grow the 1st couple of times they are shot.

The more brands of "factory" brass you use the more differences you'll find.

That's why i have a case trimmer and check all my cases to that. Some brands come up ever so slightly shy. Never found it to be a big deal. I too crimp to the canelure. My COAL varies with different bullet's.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.