Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Window Shopping

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Window Shopping

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:25 pm

today I received the 2017 Cabela's Shooting Catalog .... I haven't bothered to check the price of ammo in way more years than I care to think about .... for anything more serious than punching paper, I go with Nosler bullets .... pretty much end of story .... thankfully, they do offer hunting level bullets in every caliber I use .... guess, my reaction would qualify as sticker shock when I checked their advertised price for factory loaded 180 grain Accubond bullets in 300 WBY Mag --- $71.99 for a box of 20 --- that comes out to be $3.60 each without tax or shipping .... :shock: .... seeing this sure makes me happy we reload .. ;)
5 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Window Shopping

Post by Squatch » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:36 pm

In my area prices have recovered somewhat in the last couple of years. 5 years ago they were insane if you could find ammo at all. But the new norm is much higher than the old norm.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 pm

as noted above, in looking at the new 2017 Cabela's Shooting Catalog I found it surprising that there isn't a single listing for a lever action rim fire or center fire rifle
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Im sure you already know this Jim but anything that says Weatherby on it has a price level in the clouds. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 am

BigAl52 wrote:Im sure you already know his Jim but anything that says Weatherby on it has a price level in the clouds. Al
agree .... that has long been one of my main motivators .... at the time we bought ours, it was the most powerful 30 caliber round which I really liked but I wasn't willing to pay the price for a Weatherby made rifle .... at the time I was deer hunting in a club whose land included 640 plus acre, flat soybean/corn fields .... so, when Remington came out with one in their 700 BDL series, I ordered one intermediately .... another thing that has always surprise me is almost no other companies offer 300 WBY ammo ....
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am

I gave a weatherby a glance a time or two. Always thought I would like a 257 weatherby but never did pull the trigger on one. Reloading is a must when owning one for sure IMHO. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:57 am

Yes, it's good to be a reloader if you like to shoot a lot. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, though, I suppose that for hunting it's a good deal to pay $3.60 for a round that gets you your deer. Still, I hope to never have to pay that much myself for factory ammo. :)
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

BigAl52 wrote:I gave a weatherby a glance a time or two. Always thought I would like a 257 weatherby but never did pull the trigger on one. Reloading is a must when owning one for sure IMHO. Al
back in my pre-Henry days, I made the decision for all of our family's big game hunting rifles to be 30 caliber .... the reason was simple, back then (pretty much regardless of manufacture, they offered a wider range of ammo in 30 cal than in any other caliber) .... as best I can tell, that's still pretty much the case .... I was a supporter of the fraternity "speed kills" .... while I have no regrets about it, I now wish I'd taken a look at other calibers .... at that time the relationship between 300 Winchester and 300 Weatherby was much akin to that of 308 and 30-06 .... there is very little difference in ballistics but that said, there was nothing the 300 Winchester could do that the 300 WBY couldn't do a bit better .... as noted, if I could only have one centerfire rifle, I'd have to keep the 300 WBY

ditto1958 wrote:Yes, it's good to be a reloader if you like to shoot a lot. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, though, I suppose that for hunting it's a good deal to pay $3.60 for a round that gets you your deer. Still, I hope to never have to pay that much myself for factory ammo. :)
you got that right .. :D .. back then we reload for 3 people, today the number has risen to 4 .... its true that the initial cost of reloading equipment can be substantial .... when using the same equipment to load for more people, that really reinforces the savings ....
0 x