Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Case Cleaning

All things reloading here
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Case Cleaning

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Squatch wrote:A few slices of fabric softener sheets in my vibratory tumbler.
I've heard of throwing in some fabric softener sheets but haven't ever tried it .... do they help deal with dust ? .... do they last very lone ?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:06 pm

When I started cleaning cases with a tumbler, I also added half a dryer sheet to each batch of cases to control dust because I read that it helped. Somewhere along the way, I stopped adding it and haven't noticed any difference. I use crushed walnut shell lizard bedding.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm

a while back I ordered some Frankford Arsenal Treated Walnut Hull Media ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J ... UTF8&psc=1 <=== so far I've used it on 3 loads of casings .... it does a good job of cleaning the casings but is really dusty .... the next time we use it, I plan to throw in a dryer sheet and see if that helps .... should the dryer sheet be new or could you use one that has been run through a dryer ?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 pm

JEBar wrote:a while back I ordered some Frankford Arsenal Treated Walnut Hull Media ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J ... UTF8&psc=1 <=== so far I've used it on 3 loads of casings .... it does a good job of cleaning the casings but is really dusty .... the next time we use it, I plan to throw in a dryer sheet and see if that helps .... should the dryer sheet be new or could you use one that has been run through a dryer ?
When I used them, I always used new pieces of dryer sheets; and this is the media that I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 pm

JEBar wrote:
Squatch wrote:A few slices of fabric softener sheets in my vibratory tumbler.
I've heard of throwing in some fabric softener sheets but haven't ever tried it .... do they help deal with dust ? .... do they last very lone ?
I think adding the Mineral Spirits and Nu finish takes care of the dust. Because it moistens the media. I use small strips of dryer sheets and change them with every load. They seem to clean the media by absorbing the filth. The dryer sheets come out black and my walnuts shells seem to last a long time.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:41 pm

info appreciated .... how much NU Finish and Mineral Spirits per pound of media ?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:45 pm

JEBar wrote:info appreciated .... how much NU Finish and Mineral Spirits per pound of media ?
You'd just use a small amount of each; a capful of NuFinish and a tablespoon of MS is enough. Let them mix well into the media before adding your brass. I usually let the tumbler run for a few hours.
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

Yep I use 1 cap of Nu Finish and 2 caps of MS.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.