Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Help me with load data.

All things reloading here
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Help me with load data.

Post by Squatch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:36 pm

One of the things that drives me crazy is sometimes you have little choice but to read between the lines for the particular bullet you are using.

So I have a problem sorta. I'm working on 2 loads for 45/70.

Both use starline brass and WLR primers.
Powder will be accurate 5744.
1st is 405 gr MBC coated RNFP.
Lot's of info for 405 lead.
I'm going to load 25 of these with 28 grans of powder. Should get me around 1,200-1,400fps. depending on whose data you are reading.

Next is the problem.
350 grain Berry's copper plated RNFP. Berry's claims it's good for 1,700fps. So I assume the copper plating serves as a bit of a gas check.
I'd like to get around 1,600fps. This places it just up in standard pressure or level 2. As in for modern lever guns not safe for trapdoor.

Most info for this weight bullet is for jacketed bullets. For these bullets I use lead bullet data.

My Lyman manuals shows a gas checked 350 gr Saeco from 35-39 grns of powder. Starting speed of 1,600+

But Accurate powders only shows a jacketed 350 gr Hornady RN. From 33.8-37.5 grns powder. 1,529-1,676 fps.

I'm thinking somewhere between 34 and 35 grns. preferably 35. I want to see if these can be pushed a little without leading. So far I've pushed both of these style bullets to around 1,300 fps in both the 44 mag and 45/70 with no issues at all.

Does anyone else have some good load data for a 350 gr lead 45/70 bullet with this powder from a legit load book or published source.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Help me with load data.

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 pm

300 gr yes --- 350 gr no .... looking forward to following your search
0 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm

That's the same problem I've run into.

A couple of times with bullets like this. I look at one tha'st heavier and one that's lighter. Find the range they both have in common. And stay within that range.

I feel that the data in the Lyman cast book has been tried and tested by many. I'm using a similar style as the one they use but not identical. The one they use has a gas check. But they push a smaller 300 gr much faster with the same powder and no gas check. I'm also trying to load sorta hot but stay within the bullet makers speed limit by at least 100 fps. 35 grns is their starting load for level 2 350 gr loads. Unless I can find better info I think I'll try a few at that.

I figure 1,500-1,600fps from a 45/70 is moving pretty good. 44 mag speeds with a 110 gr heavier bullet. My thinking is the 350 won't drop as much as a 405. And at these speeds should get down range to 100 or 200 yds OK. Local range has a few 200 yd lanes. I'd like to try to put some on paper out there with my Skinner sights if I can. And not need a vernier sight to do it. If this or something similar works then I'll have an inexpensive load to play with for reaching out. Hopefully no leading. I've had none so far with these bullets.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:05 pm

makes sense to me
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:44 am

None of my manuals have load data for AA5744 powder and a 350 grain bullet.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:19 am

Squatch,

I use a lot of plated bullets from Xtreme, but I use data for jacketed rather than cast. From what I have seen from chronograph results from other people, it seems plated bullets are close to jacketed bullet velocities with the same powder charges. This leads me to believe that the pressure will be higher with plated than cast. And, that makes sense since copper has more friction than lead in the barrel. I may be wrong, but I have yet to see any load data with pressures from any of the plated bullet manufacturers except from Speer. Most manufacturers say use load data for lead bullets, but I would be skeptical. One manufacturer (Speer, and various load manuals that list Speer plated bullets) lists data that is the same for their plated and other jacketed. Also, since Berry claims their plated 350gr is good for 1700fps, it probably has a thicker plating than most. Perhaps closer to Speer's which is fairly thick.

I am planning on purchasing a chronograph. If I do, I will be comparing velocities of plated vs cast in a revolver and rifle. I am curious to see how they compare.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:06 pm

I don't use max load data so I don't sweat it too much.

I have a chrono and will chrono everything I've built. I pretty much have so far. It's a great tool.

I loaded up 25 of each of the above 2 loads. MBC with 28 grains 5744 and the Berry's with 35gr. Both loads were just getting into the lever gun level 2 loads. But both were middle of the road for the powder and bullet weight so not concerned about safety of the loads. Just leading if I am pushing them too fast.

For what it's worth I've read several posts on other forums where someone said that 405 lead over 28 grns of 5744 was their most accurate load. It fit the data I have so I built them.

I also read somewhere that with 5744 when in doubt You can mark bullet depth. Fill to the line. Measure and start with 40% and work up. I wasn't able to find this published by Accurate though. My eyeballs tell me that both of these loads were between 40+50% of available case space.

I have a box or Hornady 300gr JHP for the 45/70. Anybody have a Hornady book? They don't seem to put their data on the web. Load data for the 5744 powder?
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:45 pm

I checked a friends Hornady manual. No load for this bullet and powder. So I'll probably have to use Accurate's Load data for a similar 300 gr Sierra.
0 x

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Rugerfanboy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:09 pm

My Richard Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition has load data only for 350gr jacketed bullet for AA5744. Same load data that's on accurates website. If you do run into lead issues. You could always powder coat the lead bullet and push it to whatever velocity your after. High quality powder coated bullets can be pushed to jacketed bullet velocities. Not sure that's true for store bought powder coated bullets. I powder coat my myself and have pushed them up to 2400fps. You can also flatten out my powder coated bullet with a hammer and the powder coat does not flake off the bullet.

If you wanna learn about powder coating, you can watch these video's on youtube and he tells you everything you will need or wanna know.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqq2Xh4 ... W0w/videos

Page 63
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-conten ... _Web-1.pdf
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D